Help With Red Sea Prizm Protien Skimmer

Robert247

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a second hand red sea prizm protien skimmer and i cant get it working there is lots of bubbles but no water flow can someone help plz.

Sure. I have one of these. You need to prime it. Can you see the nipple where you put the airline tube? Put a length of airline tube over this nipple, then turn on the skimmer - make sure there is water in the chamber first, just pour some in with a jug so that it's full. Then open the flat knob to the fully open position (perpendicular to the skimmer), now, suck on the airline tube; you need to draw water into the chamber. Be careful not to suck any water into your mouth! This'll start the water flow into the skimmer.

still no luck i just get a mouth full of water and the water in the inlet tube comes up about a centimeter and the drops when i stop sucking
also what are the 2 little air line conectors on the collection cup

That's odd...it works for me. Use a VERY long piece of airline tubing, say over a metre! I assume you've taken it to pieces and given it a good clean, and checked the impeller i.e. the pump is pushing water through? How high/low is the water mark on the inlet tube? If it's too low, then it may not have enough strength to suck water through.

first you have to prime the skimmer. to do this you have to have a piece of airline tubing, about 5 inches. if i can remember there is three places that the tubing can fit. connect the collection cup to the botton with the airline tubing. one of the connections on the top is just to prime it. once water is flowing all the way through it, turn down the flow almost all the way and then switch the tubing to the next one. adjust the flow to where only bubbles go into the collection cup but not too many. But if it were up to me i would do away with that one and go with a seaclone. i just couldn't get the prizm to work that well. hope this helps, this was all told by memory from a year ago.

Most reactions

Back