Help With New Planted Tank And Led Lighting

Craig89

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Afternoon everyone, I posted up yesterday in the DIY section about making a hood for my new 4ft tank and using LEDs for the lighting. I will be using 36watts worth of white LEDs but really wanted to have a good go at a well planted tank, last year I got most parts together to make a fire extinguisher Co2 system which is now ready to be used on the new tank but I'm beginning to think my lighting isn't got to be suffice for what Im wanting.

I would like to have a dwarf grass that would create a carpet effect but also some moss and some tall background plants other than the vallis I have now which arnt a great colour.

The tank I'm getting is 74 USG and by my calculations with the LEDs I only have 0.4wpg but does this rule apply to LEDs as the 34watts or LEDs is alot brighter than the 60watts of normal light tubes I have now.

The new tank won't be ready for another 8-10 weeks but I want everything in place before hand, so any help on the lighting or plant selection would really help.

Thanks Craig

the wpg 'rule' (guide is a better term) does not work when using led lights. as you have noticed led lights give out more light per watt, alot more actually. i have not found a simple guide to led wpg as of yet but the hunt goes on. The only problem to watch for with leds is if using low watt leds and lots of them you will not get the penetration of the water that fewer higher watt leds will give, which just complicates matters even more.

I see what you mean, it's this build thread I've been following and there seems to be no problem here
http://www.greenneedle.co.uk/LEDMKII1.html

Your better off using a lot more LED's than that.

Most reactions

Back