Help With New 6x2x2 Stock List

davidblackson

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ive been going over this non stop in my head for a long time, ive gone from preds, nw cichlids, frontosas, rays! pretty much every mix you can think of for my new 6x2x2 but im wondering what you think of this

12x labidochromis caeruleus ( electric yellows / yellow labs ) 9 females 3 males
8x labidochromis chisumulae 6 females 2 males
6x labidochromis vellicans 4 females 2 males

the enviroment will be play sand and limestone rockscape, maybe with live plants and black background, im going for a more natural enviroment with lots of breeding!! and minimal aggression, what do you think of this what would you change what would you add. help with tank decore to if this is not right, thank you very much!!

Having more than one species from the same genus and they're likely to hybridize. :crazy: .. Which maybe ok if the hybrids never leave your tank. But if your wanting to breed them, i wouldnt recommend it.

Youve got a big choice of species with a tank that size.. is there no other your interested in ?

I like your idea of a natural look :good: .. good luck with the live plants though haha, your gunna need it.

no im open to all ideas about which africans, if you could say good genus's that make interesting fish and breed well with little agression let me know? its a big tank opinions could really help me as i dont know to much about africans

no im open to all ideas about which africans, if you could say good genus's that make interesting fish and breed well with little agression let me know? its a big tank opinions could really help me as i dont know to much about africans

If you looking for little agression then Africans is not what you want, as mbuna especially are very agressive even the more docile species. IMO in a tank that size id do a big hap tank or a peacock tank..

There will likely always be a fair amount of bickering/chasing with mbuna and other cichlid types. They do that naturally.

180 usg...I would look into put a trio of small species of freshwater stingrays in there.

Or make it a Fish Only with Live Rock Predator saltwater tank. Have a Volitan's Lionfish, eel, trigger fish or some cool fish like that.

There will likely always be a fair amount of bickering/chasing with mbuna and other cichlid types. They do that naturally.

180 usg...I would look into put a trio of small species of freshwater stingrays in there.

Or make it a Fish Only with Live Rock Predator saltwater tank. Have a Volitan's Lionfish, eel, trigger fish or some cool fish like that.

EEek isnt is 6x3x2 minimum for the width for rays?

im sorry i think i explaned incorrectly, i am an american cichlid keeper, green terrors, red devils, jaguars and the like. i want something less agressive! in comparison only the most aggresive africans are the ones i dont want i would like breeding to grow the tanks stock,

so correct me if im wrong but 3 species with 1 male to 3 females and pick different looking ones to avoid excessive bickering if anyone can add anything more? cheers

EEek isnt is 6x3x2 minimum for the width for rays?
Well, if one can get ahold of some of the smallest type of rays that only get an 8" or 10" disk plus the tail then yes I believe a trio could be kept. Not motoro, probably the most common, as their disk size get to about 36" I believe +tail size. The thing is the smaller breeds aren't being exported from peru(last I read, and I believe that's where they are from. been awhile since I read up on them) so they are quite expensive if you can actually find them. Even so I think getting a correct ID can be challenging for some species??? So it'd be a large challenge, but very rewarding.

:good:

so correct me if im wrong but 3 species with 1 male to 3 females and pick different looking ones to avoid excessive bickering if anyone can add anything more? cheers
With that large of a tank, I would start off with 1m:5f and have quite a 5 different species. If you're intending on keep mbuna you can have about 50 fish at maximum capacity. I think it'll take awhile to "fill in" the other space by breeding them. :good:

Most reactions

Back