Help With Fluval 404 Please

bradbury1982

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi can anyone help me, I bought a fluval 404 and upon using the self priming stick I pulled it out lol can these be replaced or is the filter useless now??

Any one got any advice?

That must have been some force you used there LOL.

I would imagine you need to replace it, should be under warranty, take it back and tell them what happened, whilst sometimes you need to prime these filters ALOT - my 305 drives me insane, it shouldnt have come out like that.

Or if you wish - take a trip to your local Maidenhead Aquatics - or any LFS selling Fluval and ask if they have a plunger in stock. I snapped mine in a 404 when working it too hard.....but I have several Fluvals and managed to swap it over !!! These guys found one for me, all the fluval external canisters with primers are the same spec so you should have no probs replacing it. Have you taken off the lid (can be tight due to the suction). Underneath the lid you will find the bottom of the plunger - a simple plastic/rubber thingy which has a hole in the top for the plunger stick to push into - if this has come apart and not actually snapped then you should be able to push the stick back into the hole. You will have to do this anyway with a replacement.

Hope this helps.

Just wanted to add a little trick i learnt. When you are setting up you filter, fill it with tank water, then when you start pumping it only take a mo`! :good: The part is very easy to get by the way.

Thanks for that they were very helpful and sent me one FOC lol, it has arrived today so gun go home and try it xx

Most reactions

Back