Help With Catfish I.d Please

Sorry, but with it being a known hybrid, confirming an ID is near on impossible. You will only be able to guess at the parentage in some cases, adult size and temperment will be a guess. Any wild caught fish will be priced much higher than hybrids, and with the numbers of this particular hybrid that I have seen in various shops, I don't see what more you can do but either enjoy the fish for what it is, or return it to the LFS as it was not sold as advertised.
I agree that with digital cameras/video it is much easier to record fish development, and had it been a known (or undescribed) genuine species, then images would be very useful to help confirm ID and/or populate documentation for the species, but, and I'm sorry to keep saying it, this particular fish is a known hybrid (see my earlier link). I'm not saying it's not worth documenting it's growth and development, but I am saying that there is available documentation on the various hybrids available for sale.

Martin , just briefly I would like to say I have enjoyed this discussion with you and any others watching and would just like to emphathise that in no way do I disagree with any of your considered thought`s and research , I am inclined to think that on closer inspection the adipose fin on both spec`s appears to be considerably different in lengh however as I said before it`s been an absolute pleasure as these are the type of discussion`s I joined the forum for , I look forward to to more interesting conversation`s in the future . Take care and see you soon , regard`s Paul :good:

rofl.gif

Most reactions

Back