Help With A Bottom Feeder Please?

Zhoo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

sorry for my complete noobiness. I'm trying to find out the scientific name of a bottom feeder. I have no idea what kind it is. It's kind of flattish in the dorso-ventral manner (top to bottom flat, like a pleco), with an complicated black and white stripy pattern. It was sold at the big al's as a "guitar" something-something and I can't for the life of me remember what the heck it was. My daughter just lost one of her favourite fish and it's her BD today and we are considering getting this stripey mystery guy because she's had her eye on him for a while. But I need to do some research first because I can by no means accommodate a 5-foot fish in a couple of years from now...

cant you pop back in to the shop and ask what hes called...then come home and search his common name (if thats hat he gives you) and then the scientific name will come up

err...the thing is...it's a couple of hours from where I am. But hey, I'm gonna call!

well, that was not too helpful. The guy on the phone said they are called 'Guitar Pleco Loach'. *scratches head*

Have a Google for "hillstream loach" and see if the shape is the same? Most of the fish from that group prefer a fast flow and cool water. Other common body shapes are panaques (royal panaque might match your description), corys (probably not), whiptails (again, probably not) and the more common pleco shape.

raphael-catfish-profile.jpg
?

Or if it is actually a plec, there are loads of species that look similar to the picture.

Have a Google for "hillstream loach" and see if the shape is the same? Most of the fish from that group prefer a fast flow and cool water. Other common body shapes are panaques (royal panaque might match your description), corys (probably not), whiptails (again, probably not) and the more common pleco shape.

Hillstream loach! This is it! Now I see why they call it a 'guitar' loach hehe. Not sure what subtype he is. I wonder if a hillstream loach would be ok with my two baby kribensis in a 10G tank with plenty of rocks and a water pump to create current? I have read they don't grow up to be big.

Have a Google for "hillstream loach" and see if the shape is the same? Most of the fish from that group prefer a fast flow and cool water.

Hillstream loach! This is it! Now I see why they call it a 'guitar' loach hehe. Not sure what subtype he is. I wonder if a hillstream loach would be ok with my two baby kribensis in a 10G tank with plenty of rocks and a water pump to create current? I have read they don't grow up to be big.

Most species one would come across stay small, that is correct. Have a look at Gastromyzon punctulatus, that is, I think, the most common species. For optimum flow, angle the pump along a side of the tank and you will see them spending much of their time on that side, in the bit where the flow is strongest. They should be fine in your set up, but I would recommend that you do not let the water temperature get much over 25C, maybe setting the heater to 22-23C (72.5F). When I kept hillstreams in the past, they always prefered company of their own kind, so I would recommend getting maybe two instead of one.

They are also known as butterfly and Hong Kong plecos / loaches. I personally prefer "hillstream" because that is where they come from :)

Most reactions

Back