Help - What Filter ?!

m-birse

Reaction score
Hiya, Newbie here, can anyone help I have just recently set up a tropical elite 60L tank with an elite filter that came with the tank, but I think I will need to buy a new filter as the Elite one seems too strong for the small fish e.g. Neons and Guppies, can anyone suggest a good one to buy ?

Hiya, Newbie here, can anyone help I have just recently set up a tropical elite 60L tank with an elite filter that came with the tank, but I think I will need to buy a new filter as the Elite one seems too strong for the small fish e.g. Neons and Guppies, can anyone suggest a good one to buy ?

for a 15g tank, i would suggest an aqua clear30 HOB filter

Hi birse.....i have the same tank and filter myself....ive had it about a year now and i have guppies and neons and they are thriving.
the elite filter is as good as they get i think and i would stick with it if i were you.May i suggest that u turn the domed shape top of the outlet so it pointing to the backside of your tank and that should take the sting out of your water flow.

The Elites are rubbish. They rely on too little media, and use Checmical media to make up for it. If you have to treat an infection/disease, you will likely loose all your stock as you will have to remove the filter to treat. Fluval internals are good IMO and the best on the market. The Elite filters are possibly the worst on the market. If you nose arround, you will likely find that the consensus on this form also...

All the best
Rabbut

Thanks everyone, I think I will stick with the Elite meantime and see how it goes, am supposed to be getting 2 baby guppies during the week hope they don't get blew away! Think maybe best in breeding box for a few weeks.

Thanks everyone, I think I will stick with the Elite meantime and see how it goes, am supposed to be getting 2 baby guppies during the week hope they don't get blew away! Think maybe best in breeding box for a few weeks.
i would advise against the Elite, ignoring all its other problems, its not got the flow for 20l tank, never mind 60l. i would advise the aquaball 2210. its cheap, reliable,has the option for different media and enough flow for your tank.

i second that boboboy.

I recommended the but no one listens.

i second that boboboy.

I recommended the but no one listens.

dont worry guy! just keep saying it. those who post may not take the advice, those who read will see it. in time, reality dawns, and your patients will be repaid, as others take up the advice.

If the OP thinks the flow is too strong, I would advise a Fluval U2 filter.

Loads of space for very flexible media, and a decent turnover, but the filter has a built in adjustable spraybar so the flow isn't too strong.

Hopefully as reliable as past Fluval internals (they are new out).

The elite stingray filters aren't that great for all the reasons above, and I've seen a couple of people have problems with them. If you intend on keeping it, you should replace the chemical media cartridges with any other brand of filter foam cut out to fit the space.

The filters then work OK if the tank is kept lightly stocked.

I've just bought a Fluval U1, I'd agree with three-fingers, you can't go wrong with Fluval internals. :good:

I've just decommissioned my old 2+, which served me well (apart from one impeller blockage :( ) for nearly eight years before pretty much falling to bits (which was my fault).
The U1 I've just bought seems very well thought out, plenty of good features, and streets ahead of the old 1+.

I especially like the fact that the impeller unit is at the bottom, so you can do partial water changes without having to turn the filter off. :good:

I had the same tank and iv just upgraded the tank to a 110 litre tank. The 60L tank i had originally came with a stingray filter which i discovered was a terrible filter as the fish could swim up the back of it and get stuck. If u wasnt on the ball and found them quick u would find the filter would kill the fish off slowly. My advice would be to get the fluvel one thats the same spec as the stingray or ur current filter but keep all ur filter media from ur old one and fit it in to the new one along with the new filter media. The filter that came with the tank should be the correct filter and u might think that the filters to powerful however if u watch the fish they are probabley enjoying the power and swimming up to it. unless u brought the tank second hand its unlikley that the tank would have come with the wrong filter. If u downgrade the filter you could get 1 thats not powerful enough for the size of the tank causing problems.

Most reactions

Back