Help w/betta decorations!

vanvran

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Moved my year old betta into a 5 gallon tank. In addition to his little silk tree, I added a castle with fake plants and he loves to go through it and lay over it. HOWEVER, I NOTICED HIS BACK FIN IS TORN A LITTLE, and actually is getting white (he's been recovering from a long drawn out battle w.fungus). The decorative castle has some fake plants that look like he may be shredding his fin on them. Do you use regular tank decorations, or do you have to use specific Betta decorations? Thanks!

The only thing I have ever found for my boys to play in/on/around is silk plants. They really like to hide under them and lay on top of them. They love real plants too... I have tried several decorations and they always end up hooking their tails on it or scratching their sides, so now I have a drawer full of hopeful decorations. You can find, however, some things made from soft pliable plastic at walmart and other fish stores. I haven't tried any of them yet, just cuz I had to lay off buying decorations for a while (instructions from the boss, ya know)...

I only use live, or silk and anything else is out except for maybe a cave. I have seen someone use a piece of pvc pipe cut a few inches long for the bettas to swim through.

I did the same as Texaswoman. In the 5 gallon, Mayo (see avatar, he's in a new home now though) loves to go through the pvc pipe (mine's T shape) and almost everywhere. I prefer live but well i'm out of cash. Use silk or live plants, i dont trust those plastic plants.

Wal-mart has some silk plants for like $1.64 each :thumbs:

Thanks everyone! I pulled the plastic plants off the castle and the silky ones are left, which he lays on top of. he likes to go through the archway in the castle, so I think I will keep the castle in the tank. He also has a silk palm tree in the tank. Can you put live plants in a heated, no filtered tank?

I've had no problem keeping java fern alive in an unheated, unfiltered, & unlighted (other than regular lights in the room) tank. They're pretty hardy, and my bettas lounge on them too.

I also give my bettas mini-sized flower pots turned on their side -- they like to hide in them -- I'm sure PVC pipe works just as well too. The key thing is to find things with no sharp edges. :)

Mandi, what are the mini flower pots made of? clay? do you treat them, and how?

vanvran said:
Mandi, what are the mini flower pots made of? clay? do you treat them, and how?
Yeah, just regular clay pots. They were brand new (never had plants in them). I just rinsed them with really hot water and scrubbed a bit with an algae scrubber pad. I don't know if you should clean them better than that... :dunno: but I've never had a problem. Maybe a vinegar/water solution would be good?

Most reactions

Back