HELP Red Bellied Pacu Re-ehome

kescott30

Reaction score
Hello, I am reaching out on behalf of a friend that needs to re-home his full grown Red Bellied Pacu because it has outgrown his tank. The fish is 15 years old and is absolutely massive. If anyone knows of anywhere that is willing to take large fish in the Princeton NJ area (or surrounding areas), please respond to this thread. Thanks in advance for any advice.

or a public aquarium
A lot of public aquariums are over-run with these super common giant fish that shouldn't even really be sold in the hobby. People buy them as tiny baby juveniles that are super cheap, then can't house them.

It's still worth a try and asking if they can take it though, would ring around every public aquarium. If you find somewhere that's a distance away, you can watch Ohio Fish Rescue's trips on youtube to see how they move these batches of giant fish in the back of their van in huge tubs with airstones and W/C's on the way. :)

These ones are worth a watch, for anyone interested in how huge these weirdly cute monster fish can get!

In this one, even the huge tank in a mall wasn't large enough for a single pacu:

I had one, that grew to 24 inches long, before one day knocking the top off, because of it's massive strength & weight, on a custom 220 gallon tank, one day while we were out of town...
there is a fish seller called Predatory Fins in roughly your area of the country, that advertises, that they rehome large fish...

A lot of public aquariums are over-run with these super common giant fish that shouldn't even really be sold in the hobby. People buy them as tiny baby juveniles that are super cheap, then can't house them.

It's still worth a try and asking if they can take it though, would ring around every public aquarium. If you find somewhere that's a distance away, you can watch Ohio Fish Rescue's trips on youtube to see how they move these batches of giant fish in the back of their van in huge tubs with airstones and W/C's on the way. :)
I really don't think fish like pacus or common plecos should be sold except as special orders. Obviously, everyone should research their fish before purchase. But many people don't and they buy these fish not knowing what they're getting into.

I really don't think fish like pacus or common plecos should be sold except as special orders. Obviously, everyone should research their fish before purchase. But many people don't and they buy these fish not knowing what they're getting into.
I said exactly the same thing to someone else the other day!

We do have something in the UK called "The Big Fish Campaign", an awareness campaign launched by UK zoos and aquaria, specifically requesting that stores don't stock "tank busters" as standard - because so many people end up either asking public aquariums to take these fish, or dumping them on them even. So they're trying to raise awareness in the hobby, and also pressuring stores not to stock "tank busters" as standard stocking.

At least one of the big chain stores here backs it:https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/stories/tankbusters-co-do-you-really-know-what-you-are-taking-on

And my privately owned LFS (before it shut down, because decent LFS's run by passionate hobbyists can't compete against the big chains and online shopping) didn't stock things like common plecos or shovelnose cats, would only special order in fish like that if the new potential owner knew exactly what they were getting, and could show they had a set up suitable for an adult sized fish of the type they wanted. :) They did take in, and rehome if they could, some fish if they could manage, like the odd common plec.

@simonas ... aside from big fish, which I suspect you think are cool as well as I, if you watch the 2nd U Tube link @AdoraBelle Dearheart linked above, there are several large spotted rays pictured at their facilities towards the beginning of the video

I don't watch their videos religiously, but always surprised when I see one! I don't know much about "monster fish", but they're pretty awesome to see in their videos, and they're always creating new spaces and ideas. They converted an in ground swimming pool into a predator fish pond! With araipima and many other species in there. Worth checking out!

I said exactly the same thing to someone else the other day!

We do have something in the UK called "The Big Fish Campaign", an awareness campaign launched by UK zoos and aquaria, specifically requesting that stores don't stock "tank busters" as standard - because so many people end up either asking public aquariums to take these fish, or dumping them on them even. So they're trying to raise awareness in the hobby, and also pressuring stores not to stock "tank busters" as standard stocking.

At least one of the big chain stores here backs it:https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/stories/tankbusters-co-do-you-really-know-what-you-are-taking-on

And my privately owned LFS (before it shut down, because decent LFS's run by passionate hobbyists can't compete against the big chains and online shopping) didn't stock things like common plecos or shovelnose cats, would only special order in fish like that if the new potential owner knew exactly what they were getting, and could show they had a set up suitable for an adult sized fish of the type they wanted. :) They did take in, and rehome if they could, some fish if they could manage, like the odd common plec.
It has even more dire consequences. A lot of people who don't know any better think it's ok to release a fish into the wild if they can't care for them anymore. Here in the US, common plecos have become an invasive species in some areas because of irresponsible fish keepers who release them into the wild. Or they escape from fish farms. Goldfish too. A pacu could easily decimate a local ecosystem.

It has even more dire consequences. A lot of people who don't know any better think it's ok to release a fish into the wild if they can't care for them anymore. Here in the US, common plecos have become an invasive species in some areas because of irresponsible fish keepers who release them into the wild. Or they escape from fish farms. Goldfish too. A pacu could easily decimate a local ecosystem.

Oh yes. I share this video here sometimes too. This devastation is the result of people dumping fish they don't want and won't take responsibility for, into non-native ecosystems.

It's a pretty horrifying watch, and it's hardly a rare event. Look at snakeheads that were dumped in the US. Goldfish are invasive all over the place, outcompeting native species and changing the ecosystems they invade entirely. People dump their kids "Goldie" when it's too big or the kid is bored of it, and think they're being kind. To that one fish. Better to euthanise it than to dump it into waters it doesn't belong in.

I had one, that grew to 24 inches long, before one day knocking the top off, because of it's massive strength & weight, on a custom 220 gallon tank, one day while we were out of town...
there is a fish seller called Predatory Fins in roughly your area of the country, that advertises, that they rehome large fish...

Thank you, I will send them an email!!!

Most reactions

Back