Help please

I run it under tap water and squeeze. But with doing some research I believe I should be doing it with a bit of tank water because I’m probably stripping it to basically being new
Ah ha! It appears we are getting closer to what might be wrong 🤔 ordinarily I wouldn't be overly concerned because there'd be enough beneficial bacteria living in the gravel....but you haven't got any 😅 so the system would be relying on what's growing on the sponges in your filter.

When you're doing your water change, save some of the old water in a bucket on filter maintenance day and squeeze your sponges out in that bucket. Then chuck that water out on your garden, your plants will love the extra fertiliser! Seeing as you have very little plantage I doubt you actually need to be cleaning your filter every 2 weeks anyway. Leave it alone now to do its thing, clean it when the flow coming out of it starts slowing down.

It would be really good if you could post a whole tank photo including your filter if you can please? We may be able to spot something you could tweak that may help too

if you are using chlorinated tap water, & not wringing all the water out, there could be small amount of chlorine going into you tank as well

I personally use tap water, but mine is well water, with no chemicals

if you are using chlorinated tap water, & not wringing all the water out, there could be small amount of chlorine going into you tank as well

I personally use tap water, but mine is well water, with no chemicals

This is nothing to worry about. The level of chlorine and chloramine allowed by law in tap water in the US, Canada and EU is not high enough to kill the bacteria much. Studies on tap water from the US and Sweden showed that more than half of the nitrifying bacteria were not killed. Which only makes sense, because when we cycle a tank the nitrifying bacteria come from the water and multiply. We can seed it of course, but many don't and it still works.

I have rinsed filters, substrate, decor under the tap for 30 years. Now, I would advise a new aquarist to use tank water at first, just as a precaution, but once the bacteria are going, or there are ;live plants, this is not a concern. Chlorine will burn fish gills, so water added to the tank needs to be dechlorinated, but that's it. Chlorine is actually a plant micro-nutrient.

Last edited:
Ah ha! It appears we are getting closer to what might be wrong 🤔 ordinarily I wouldn't be overly concerned because there'd be enough beneficial bacteria living in the gravel....but you haven't got any 😅 so the system would be relying on what's growing on the sponges in your filter.

When you're doing your water change, save some of the old water in a bucket on filter maintenance day and squeeze your sponges out in that bucket. Then chuck that water out on your garden, your plants will love the extra fertiliser! Seeing as you have very little plantage I doubt you actually need to be cleaning your filter every 2 weeks anyway. Leave it alone now to do its thing, clean it when the flow coming out of it starts slowing down.

It would be really good if you could post a whole tank photo including your filter if you can please? We may be able to spot something you could tweak that may help too
Ignore how messy it is. I was trying to get some of the debris on the bottom. Before I put sand and more plants tomorrow. Is there anywhere in the uk that sell shells or coral skeleton I think it was someone said to up the ph?

I also have an aquarium sponge coming tomorrow so I’m going to scrape the algae that’s growing on the walls.

Sorry to add more on but how much of a water change would you recommend with me adding sand. The sand is JBL sansibar dark. I have also bought some tropica premium nutrition to add to help boost my plants growth and all around healthyness

Attachments

• IMG_6064.jpeg
    IMG_6064.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 23
I'm not sure about where to get the crushed coral, check amazon maybe?

The sand looks OK, Corydoras prefer very soft sand as they filter it through their gills looking for tasty treats, so just keep an eye on them.

Moving your heater further down into the tank and central will help with even distribution of heat 👍🏻 they're made to be submerged so don't let it sit out the water (I've heard horror stories of them exploding and all sorts 🥴)

Even with sand, do still make big water changes. Most of us take out 50% of the water volume every week. Do you use a siphon to remove the water? A hose into a bucket is the easiest way to do it, you can use your hose like a hoover to suck up all the gunk.

Hope that helps? Keep your questions coming, we're happy to help 😊

I would hesitate on the crushed coral. What is the pH...I read back and can't see it mentioned. GH is 7 dH so that is OK. You have fish that willbe better with a pH below 7, though one around 7 is not bad. The guppies like it there, but they are all dying and I doubt this is due to the pH but let us know what it is.

Messing with adjusting parameters is not easy, and it can have quite an effect on things, as everything is related.

This is nothing to worry about. The level of chlorine and chloramine allowed by law in tap water in the US, Canada and EU is not high enough to kill the bacteria much. Studies on tap water from the US and Sweden showed that more than half of the nitrifying bacteria were nopt killed. Which only makes sense, because when we cycle a tank the nitrifying bacteria come from the water and multiply. We can seed it of course, but many don't and it still works.

I have rinsed filters, substrate, decor under the tap for 30 years. Now, I would advise a new aquarist to use tank water at first, just as a precaution, but once the bacteria are going, or there are ;live plants, this is not a concern. Chlorine will burn fish gills, so water added to the tank needs to be dechlorinated, but that's it. Chlorine is actually a plant micro-nutrient.
Makes sense. The beneficial bacteria we develop during the nitrogen cycle has to come from somewhere. They don't just spontaneously appear out of thin air (or water as it were). They were already living in the tap water, despite the chlorine and chloramine. Dechlorination and giving them a food source just allowed them to proliferate.

Most reactions

Back