Help Please

jannette1959

Reaction score
We bought a smallish tank last Saturday. Filled it with tap water. Left it until Wednesday before adding guppies, neons and tiger barbs. Before adding the fish we did a Tetra 6 in 1 test - all results were okay. Bought the fish from Pets at Home. Left them in bags in tank for a while to let the temperatures settle. Tank has a filter, air pump, thermometer reading 24 deg C. Fish seemed healthy at first but the next morning they were all at the top and the neons had died. Now the guppies and tiger barbs have died. Out of 15 fish we lost 10 the first day and almost all of the rest today. What have we done wrong please? On working out from a book we could put 16" inches of fish in the tank - the 15 we bought do not add up to the 16". We have some fresh plants, gravel. Any suggestions please. Thanks Jann.

Your tank wasn't cycled(see beginner resource section) and I would say you have overstocked the tank.if doing a fish in cycle you have chosen the possibly most sensitive fish.
Can you post you test results and tank size.it's a shame about the lost fish but don't let that put you off keeping fish with the right research you will be able to get your set up right :)

Oh and welcome to the forums :)

Your tank wasn't cycled(see beginner resource section) and I would say you have overstocked the tank.if doing a fish in cycle you have chosen the possibly most sensitive fish.
Can you post you test results and tank size.it's a shame about the lost fish but don't let that put you off keeping fish with the right research you will be able to get your set up right :)

Oh and welcome to the forums :)

+1 you need too do a fishless cycle or a Fish in cycle. But i as anyone else would recommend a fishless cycle. Otherwise this will keep happening.

Its harsh unfortunatly and many of us have done the same thing. Im sorry for you loosing your fishes.

This is where you want to start, what you have right now is a fish in cycle, or a traditional cycle with fish. In this sort of cycle you want 1" of hardy, slim bodied fish that grows to no larger than 3", per 5 gallons of water. Expect to do large water changes, 50% or more, near daily with this sort of cycle.

Best bet for now is a large water change, 50%+, and look into getting a liquid test kit, the API kit is the most common one. Make sure to use a quality water conditioner with the replacement water, the best around are Seachem Prime, or Tetra Aquasafe.

thanks guys, i will get an ammonia and nitrile test tomorrow and change 50% for bottled water.
is this the fault of the shop as the fish are under guarantee, where do you think I stand with getting some money back?
I kept fish years ago without any problems - can't remember any of this palava.

Unless your tap water is undrinkable it will be fine, and much cheaper than bottled water. The regulations and testing for municipally supplied tap water are actually much stricter than for bottled water, all you need for tap water is a good conditioner, which is designed to mainly neutralize disinfectants such as chlorine & chloramine.

The shop will want a water sample, depending on that & how they work their refunds according to water test results you may get a refund, you may not. All shops differ a bit as far as refund policies, if they were aware of the tank size as well as being newly set up and still sold you those fish it should be on them just for their lack of knowledge about how cycling a tank works.

Just another voice to add assurance that you're getting about the best advice you can get with Tolak looking in on you. The majority of newcomers to the hobby have one or more rocky experiences learning about the principles of biological filtration and in the long run these experiences can actually help you more than not having them.

Agree that you want your water changes to be large, frequent and done with good technique. 50% is a great way to get going for a while and then the members can help you with how to use your test results to perhaps save a bit of time on all the water changing. Tap water is quite important because you want your eventual tank environment to share similar water chemistry with your tap water, the tap water then serving as the "fix everything" safety source for your tank (in particular the water-hardness characteristics will then not change too drastically when water changes are performed after you have fish.)

~~waterdrop~~

Unfortunately adding all the fish in a un-cycled tank was a non starter,has others have said read up on the fish in cycle to keep the remaining fish alive and don't add any more at the moment.

The inch per gallon rule for fish is based on their adult size and not what size they are when bought.Tiger barbs are too aggressive to keep in a small tank and need to be in largish groups.

What size is your tank and what fish do you have left?

Welcome to the forum :)

Also you need to add the fish slowly. Not all in one go or you'll experience an ammonia spike which is very dangerous. I also suggest not buying fish from Pets at Home if you can avoid it and go to a fish only store such as a Maidenhead Aquatics. Pets at Home staff deal with all animals and aren't as knowledgable with fish as someone working in a shop that is focused on fish.

AmazonFTW

(Sorry Pets at Home, I like you for hamsters and stuff :good:)

Most reactions

Back