Help Please

Connor_scotland

Reaction score
Alrite people I have set up my new tank now
Been about 3 days and the water is cloudy I have added the drops that came with the tank as it states on the bottle now the water is gone white an cloudy

If i am being a dumb ass just say

I have 3 live plants in the tank aswell

I washed everything before putting it in the tank aswell incluiding the gravel
Excuse the crap pic its off my phone
100_0716.jpg

Also the tank is a 60l one

did you fully wash the gravel before you put it in?
I had to fill and empty my tank 3 times before i
finally got rid of the clouding.

Gravel needs to be really bashed around and rinsed/sieved in a bucket several times to get all the "powder" off it. Took me ages to rinse mine. If the cloudiness started straight away (as soon as you put it in) then you just didn't get it clean enough. If you haven't started your fishless cycle yet you may as well take it out and start again -- it'll be quicker in the long run!

If you have started your fishless cycle already (adding ammonia / fish food to the tank -- check out the pinned articles if you haven't already) then this might just be a bacterial bloom, where the ammonia-processing bacteria multiply very rapidly to take advantage of all the food available to them.

Hope this helps!

Newly set up tanks will be cloudy for a number of days it will eventually clear.

its your gravel, happened to me and it seems alot of others. You washh your gravel but it still has some powder on it and it clouds your water.

Soloution is to use a siphon hose on your gravel and do 1-2 water changes

I had the same problem. What I did was I got a air pump and a big air stone. I then got a new and better filter. It cleared up a little. Then I found that I was feeding the fish too much, so I lightend up and it cleared right up. :)
You more than likely will need an air pump.

It should settle with time. As has been mentioned it's likely just dirty rocks. For future reference here is the method I have always used with good luck on my new gravel. I just jab a whole lot of holes in the bottom of the gravel bag making sure to gets plenty in the corners. Then rip a whole in the top of the bag and run the faucet through the rocks. I will let the water run through them for a good 5-10 minutes and I occasionally reach in and stir them around a bit. This normally works pretty well for me.

Alrite people I have set up my new tank now
Been about 3 days and the water is cloudy I have added the drops that came with the tank as it states on the bottle now the water is gone white an cloudy

If i am being a dumb ass just say

100_0716.jpg

Also the tank is a 60l one
Hey, you posted this on New to the hobby so no need for the "dumb ass" ok :good: Believe me there are a lot dumber questions on this forum so yours is a quite reasonable question....ok\/

Patience my friend, your tank will clear in time :good:

You say you've added the drops that came with the tank. If it's something that's supposed to cycle the tank, I'm afraid it won't do anything.

Most reactions

Back