Help Please? Shark Or Fish First?

p.sandlak

Reaction score
so i bought a small 2 gallon tank and realized i could not get anything to exciting in it once i started looking into fish, so i went and bought a 20 gallon tank. i used to have a small tank once with a betta and once with goldfish, so i kinda know whats going on but im no expert. i really like the red tailed shark and set up my aquarium for its needs with a couple caves for territories, plants, basically everything the internet and pets stores have told me to do. i also want to add a couple other fish with it (i currently have no fish in my tank), im just not sure if i should put the shark in first wait a week or two before adding other fish, or add a couple other fish that are compatible with the red tailed shark (any suggestions for compatibility) first and then add the shark later. could you please let me know your thoughts, any insight is good on anything

thanks!

so i bought a small 2 gallon tank and realized i could not get anything to exciting in it once i started looking into fish, so i went and bought a 20 gallon tank. i used to have a small tank once with a betta and once with goldfish, so i kinda know whats going on but im no expert. i really like the red tailed shark and set up my aquarium for its needs with a couple caves for territories, plants, basically everything the internet and pets stores have told me to do. i also want to add a couple other fish with it (i currently have no fish in my tank), im just not sure if i should put the shark in first wait a week or two before adding other fish, or add a couple other fish that are compatible with the red tailed shark (any suggestions for compatibility) first and then add the shark later. could you please let me know your thoughts, any insight is good on anything

thanks!
Aquarium size
Recommended aquarium size is at least 45 gallons or 55 gallons. just look on a web side http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-tailed_black_shark

[/quote]
Aquarium size
Recommended aquarium size is at least 45 gallons or 55 gallons. just look on a web side http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-tailed_black_shark
[/quote]

the petsmart website says 20 gallons or bigger for the red-tailed shark so i thought it would work? what other cool fish would you recommend

Aquarium size
[/quote]

the petsmart website says 20 gallons or bigger for the red-tailed shark so i thought it would work? what other cool fish would you recommend
[/quote]

Pet Store website often underestimate the tank size needed for larger fish, that way you buy more fish. Red tailed sharks grow up to 6 inches and are pretty active and also aggressive to same species and smaller fish. Long story short your tank is just too small.

Agree 20g is too small for a red tail or rainbow shark, they get more aggressive as they get older i find.

I had one in a 20g for a little while (due to some problems) and it just went mad on my other fish, although there was no noticable damage to other fish i know it'd of been stressing them out.

+1 for "fisharefriendsnotfood10" comment too :good:
maybe rams instead of kribs though? i dont know :lol:

Most reactions

Back