Help Please Filter Accident

Minstrel

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have just got home from work to find the end of my filter spray has blown off therefore creating no oxygen in the tank I have lost one fish which I am devastated about (my Colombian zebra plec) and am terrified of losing more, I changed the filter sponge chopped some off half the old filter as originally thought this was the reason before I saw the end having popped off. My other half is currently in the process of doing a water change to add some oxygenated water, is there anything else I can do? I am so worried for my fish! :(

How heavily stocked is it, and what size is it. Do you have an airpump? if so use it. If not would it be possible to leave the filter nossle slightly out of the water to create bubbles.

dayyum... i had this with my internal... if you could find a clean cork of some sort?

Being the person i am, when it happened to me i sat there for a good hour with my thumb over the end thinking of something to do... i did find a cork however... and then got a spare spraybar assembly from hagen

Sorry panic writing I found the end and bunged it back in, we are trying to think of a way to secure it forever. It's a 240L a big tank and is not heavily stocked at all. All my Corys seem okay but I am gutted about that plec, he was a beauty. :( I am checking all the smallest fish first. I have now left it for a while with the water drained a bit creating more bubbles and added the water I did add quite quick so to cause more bubbles. How likely is it I will have more casualties? :(

if the water is being aerated again... casualties should stop, and most probably will

what filter is it?

Sorry panic writing I found the end and bunged it back in, we are trying to think of a way to secure it forever. It's a 240L a big tank and is not heavily stocked at all. All my Corys seem okay but I am gutted about that plec, he was a beauty. :( I am checking all the smallest fish first. I have now left it for a while with the water drained a bit creating more bubbles and added the water I did add quite quick so to cause more bubbles. How likely is it I will have more casualties? :(
A little blob of sealent or non toxic superglue will stick it down forever :lol:

A little blob of sealent or non toxic superglue will stick it down forever :lol:

TRUE STORY BRO' XD

Seems strange for a plec to die from short time with no spray bar, are you sure this is the reason for its death?

Seems strange for a plec to die from short time with no spray bar, are you sure this is the reason for its death?

why did i miss that O_O how old was the plec that died? any underlying health issues? ill at the time
? any treatments in the water

why did i miss that O_O how old was the plec that died? any underlying health issues? ill at the time
? any treatments in the water

He was a very small plec, they were heaving and breathing from the top including the bigger plecs so I assume that was the reason for his death being about an inch in size I thought he suffocated faster. There was nothing else wrong with him.

If it was oxygen deficiency the bigger fish would succumb first as they require more oxygen.

Most reactions

Back