Help on a new tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes alot of people do that just make sure that it doesent touch the plastic it could melt it.
Hi Derekshatch,

That would be great, but where should I place it? I read that preferably the heater should be vertical instead of horizontal?

Also if it could melt the plastic, won't it burn/melt the bio balls and/or the filter foam/sponge?

Attachments

• 20200720_163550.jpg
    20200720_163550.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20200720_163536.jpg
    20200720_163536.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 20200720_163536.jpg
    20200720_163536.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 68
The java fern should do fine with that light. The cabomba might not. Also look into anubias, java moss, and hornwort. All of these do quite well in lower light, and they are all water-column feeders, which means they don't need to be rooted in the substrate. Anubias and mosses are attached to objects (like your java fern), and hornwort can float.

Two websites I recommend you check out as you research what fish to buy: seriouslyfish.com has really good information on different fish and their needs. Aqadvisor.com allows you to input your tank's dimensions and filter, then try out different combinations of fish to see if they would work together.

Good luck!
Hi Whistling Badger,

Thanks for the amazing advise! I will definitely look into those 2 sites. Aqadadvisor especially sounds like a great tool!

I hope the cabomba will survive, it did in the store with the same lights but their tanks are probably a lot better balanced. My fish guy has some java moss and anubias coming in this week, I'll ask him keep some for me.

Word of advice on Aqadvisor, it's not very accurate in terms of how many fish you can keep. Personally, I would not use it to test stocking levels. You're better off doing research on the species you wish to keep and finding out how much space they need.

To fit a heater in their you would probably need to remove some of the filter media. Most people put heaters into filters that are big so like a canister filter or something. How big is the tank? How deep is the water in the filter because it looks shallow and the filter would need to be submerged?

Word of advice on Aqadvisor, it's not very accurate in terms of how many fish you can keep. Personally, I would not use it to test stocking levels. You're better off doing research on the species you wish to keep and finding out how much space they need.
I find it is actually over-conservative on the amount of fish it will let you keep; most of my tanks have been moderately overstocked according to AA. Do you find that as well? I think it's a good place to start.

Heaters need to have the part with the heating element under water. They usually have a line on them showing the minimum water level. In a filter like that there would not be enough water covering the heater even if it could be completely submerged.

Edit to add - this brand is the heaters I have. I have put a red arrow to show the minimum line Everything below that line must be totally under water when the heater is switched on.

heater.jpg

Last edited:
How do you mean inaccurate? They let you oversrock or under? I am honestly brand new to the hobby and currently have zero experience nor knowledge with any fish. I will probably try it just to make sure I won't have any fish fighting in the tank.

To fit a heater in their you would probably need to remove some of the filter media. Most people put heaters into filters that are big so like a canister filter or something. How big is the tank? How deep is the water in the filter because it looks shallow and the filter would need to be submerged?
It's a 20 gallon tank, 65 cm long, 35 wide and 35 high. Not sure what that is in inches. The filter itself isn't too big, about 35 cm long, 12,5 wide and 9 high. I definitely won't be able to hang it in there but I hoped maybe "laying down" it could fit?

Heaters need to have the part with the heating element under water. They usually have a line on them showing the minimum water level. In a filter like that there would not be enough water covering the heater even if it could be completely submerged.

Edit to add - this brand is the heaters I have. I have put a red arrow to show the minimum line Everything below that line must be totally under water when the heater is switched on.

View attachment 110316
I want to go for a submersible 75 or 100 watt heater for my tank. It's a 20 gallon and I live on a tropical island so maybe 75 watt could be enough(?) I was hoping to place it in horizontally if at all possible. The filter box is 35 cm long, 12,5 wide and 9 deep/high. Any chance I could make this work?

I would not use a heater inside a trickle filter. The water inside them cannot be deep enough for the heater to work properly. The worst case scenario is that it will shatter.

These stocking calculators cannot take every combination of fish into account. Stocking is more than x number of fish, it is about the combination of fish as well. Do they all need the same temperature and hardness? Will one species eat another? Are they a mix of fast and slow swimming fish as fast swimmers will stress slow swimmers? Etc etc. No stocking calculator can help with these things.

Quickly adding, what if I would use 2 box filters stacked on top of each other? The top one containing all my media and the bottom only having the heater? Maybe if I elevate it from the bottom by placing it on top of something that doesn't conduct heat that well?

Or is this idea a little too close to mad scientist level?

I would not use a heater inside a trickle filter. The water inside them cannot be deep enough for the heater to work properly. The worst case scenario is that it will shatter.

These stocking calculators cannot take every combination of fish into account. Stocking is more than x number of fish, it is about the combination of fish as well. Do they all need the same temperature and hardness? Will one species eat another? Are they a mix of fast and slow swimming fish as fast swimmers will stress slow swimmers? Etc etc. No stocking calculator can help with these things.
Well I am hoping to go for aome beginner fish to start with so a lot sites recommend neon tetras. What would be the best way to go about this if a calculator isn't an option? Is it really just reading up on every single fish? I wouldn't mind it but I am guessing it will take a very long to do so.

It's a shame that it's not possible to place the heater in a trickle filter.. I guess close to the power head will be best option then. Who knows, maybe I'll diy myself a huge trickle filter somewhere in the future and hide under an oversized canopy.

Quickly adding, what if I would use 2 box filters stacked on top of each other? The top one containing all my media and the bottom only having the heater? Maybe if I elevate it from the bottom by placing it on top of something that doesn't conduct heat that well?

Or is this idea a little too close to mad scientist level?
Just grow some plants. There are 2 heaters and a filter behind this lot...
20200705_222205-jpg.109108

I want to go for a submersible 75 or 100 watt heater for my tank. It's a 20 gallon and I live on a tropical island so maybe 75 watt could be enough(?)
Go for the 100, or even 150. They probably cost the same and the bigger ones are usually more reliable.

Just grow some plants. There are 2 heaters and a filter behind this lot...
20200705_222205-jpg.109108

Go for the 100, or even 150. They probably cost the same and the bigger ones are usually more reliable.
I can just do this without burning the plants or fish? Unfortunately Indonesia is quite crappy in it's electricity system.. We have already have a slightly above average count and even then we are limited to 1300 watt. Anything over and the breaker gives out.. throw in an air conditioner or 2 and every day electronics and you'll get there real quick. So it's unfortunately also a compromise deal... you think I can make do with the 75? The tank itself is never in an air conditioned room. We placed it in our semi-open lounge room.

Heater size is calculated based on water volume and how much cooler the room is than your target temp. For a 20G tank you only need a 50W heater as long as your room is usually less than 5 degrees (C) cooler than you want the tank. My guess is this will be the case for most of the year. 75W is needed if your room is usually up to 10 degrees cooler than the tank.

Most reactions

Back