Help Needed With A Tench

There nice goldfish, lumps can be bacterial, but they can be other things, does it look like a cauliflower the lump, what colour is the lump, blind as a bat so can't see pics that well.

http://www.fishjunkies.com/Disorders/lumps.php

It does look like a cauliflower and they are white. I wouldn't doubt your eyesight too much, they are not very good pictures. :)

One of them (the smallest) is like a cauliflower. They are white in colour. I wouldn't doubt your eyesight too much, they are not the best pics :)

Sorry all, I don't have a stutter, I just messed the post up somehow :)

Not great news then, not the writer of this information.
Lymphocystis

Symptoms:

Fish infected with Lymphocystis will present with clusters of whitish, berry-like growths on the skin and fins. These "clusters" may resemble small clutches of eggs or cauliflower (hence, it is sometimes called Cauliflower Disease). They will be clearly visible and may even become extremely large. This disease often affects the fins first.

Cause:

Viral infection. The virus will eventually kill the fish if it is unable to mount a strong enough immune response as the virus rampages through the fish’s tissues, destroying its cells.

Treatment:

As with all viral infections, there is no suitable cure or efficacious treatment; however Quick Cure claims to be helpful. I have also heard of people who trim the fish's fins, followed by several baths in Malachite Green. Fortunately, this disease is uncommon and in some cases, infected fish are able to recover quickly without treatment.

Lymphocystis is highly infectious. When infected cells from the fish’s skin or fins burst the virus is spread throughout the aquarium and can remain contagious for periods of up to two months. Fish not showing symptoms should be removed from the aquarium and placed in quarantine, away from other fish, for at least 60 days. Note, remove uninfected fish, not the other way around because the aquarium has become contaminated. The infected aquarium should be emptied and thoroughly disinfected before returning any fish to it. Do not use soap to clean the aquarium.

http://www.fishjunkies.com/Infections/viral.php#nodes

Thanks for the info.

Whilst changing the filter, I noticed long, white, stringy faeces in the aquarium.

We have added Melofix to the aquarium just in case there is a bacterial infection.

We will be monitoring everything very closely.

I was going to ask you about that with having the lump near the vent, is the anus enlarged hard to tell if it is red inflamed, as long stringy white poo can be internal parasites with having the lump near there.

The anus is not red or inflamed.

A thought just occurred to us though. We never had any problems until we purchased some live plants from a new aquatic centre. We certainly did not have snails either. They are cute enough but it limits the treatments we can use in the tank.

Hi All,

Took Bumble to the Vet today and he diagnosed the lump as a cyst and drained it.

Bumble was glad to get back to his aquarium. We saw him nudge one of the Goldfish and turn-upside. We like to think he was showing-off his operation scar - he will be dining out on that for weeks :)

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Kind regards,

Pog.

Good question :)

The vet anaesthetises the fish by using a medication in the water (not clove oil). They then remove them from the water and place a tube in to the fish’s mouth. Through the tube, they pass a mixture of the anaesthetic and oxygen enriched water which passes through the gills. The setup allows them to monitor and adjust the amount of anaesthetic during the operation. Good thing I asked eh :)

The cyst was around the vent so removal wasn't his first option so he decided to incise the cyst and put two stitches either side thus leaving an opportunity for the continued draining of the cyst.

Hope this explains it.

Regards,
Pog.

Cool, you learn something every day! I spose that the vets has very little time to do anything as well right, otherwise the fish would dry up? Must be quite tricky to put stitches in a fish as well.

That's great news that he well again, bless him.

Hi All,

After an agonising discussion, Debbie and I have concluded that Bumble would almost certainly be better off in a pond. We have been reluctant to do this as he has been in an aquarium for best part of 7 years and he seems inseperable from the two Goldfish he shares his home with and it is difficult to know what is best for him. Of course, he would not be used to the lower temperatures that one would get in a pond during winter.

He orignally came from a pond when he was a tiddler - full story of his and the Goldfish's rescue was posted when we first joined the forums.

We have a pond ourself but it is a wildlife pond and Bumble would upset the balance plus, he would be the only fish.

Any ideas / suggestions? :/

Regards,
Pog.

Wait until late spring before finding him a home then advertise in your local paper or here and im sure he will find some where nice.

Hi All,

Sigh. The symptoms Bumble was displaying have not subsided. He is still floating at the top of the tank with the upper part of his body exposed to the air. The cyst is back, although the Vet did say that this may happen and that further treatment is possible.

THE PROBLEM
----------------

Bumble has been subjected to various anti-bacterial treatments (Melofix and Interpet No. 9) and is now on an anti-parasitical treatment second dose (Interpet No. 7), but nothing seems to help him. He still has an appetite and appears to enjoy his food. The vet is on holiday for three weeks so I cannot follow-up this problem with him. Another vet will not discuss the matter via telephone as their practice policy is to take the patient in to see them. The problem with this is that Bumble has no visible signs of injury or disease and gets very stressed when removed from the tank which I think would be counter-productive.

Has anyone any ideas as to what may be causing Bumble's behaviour?

Many thanks,
Pog.

:/

He might be in pain from the cyst as it is in a delicate area. Ask for antibiotics when you next take him in to see if that might help or maybe something injected to fight any infection.
Sorry i dont know what else to suggest

http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#Growth

Most reactions

Back