Help Needed: First Canister Filter

OscarWilde

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi there.

I got what I think/hope is a bargain today. Two massive, really nice pieces of Bogwood and a ATMAN Ultrajet 3338 Canister Filter for £35. Problem is, I dont know how to set it up! It's second hand and does not have an instruction manual and I've never had a canister filter before. I tried switching it in with the pipes in the sink however, thinking the filter would start sucking in the water however thats not the case.

From the limited amount of information I can find on Google in seems that these are basicly good copies of the Eheim range so maybe someone with one of those can help. It came with lots ofspare media etc but not much good if I cant get the water to go through it!

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

21.jpg

HI THERE TAKE THE 2 TAPS PUT THE TUBING ON ONE END YOUL SEE WICH END THEN THE OTHER SCREWS ON TO YOUR FILTER THEY SHOULD SWIVEL AROUND OK MEASURE THE TUBING FROM WHERE YOUR FILTER IS STOOD PREF UNDER YOUR TANK THEN PUT THE U SHAPE PIPING ON END OF TUBING THAT GOES OVER YOUR TANK AND SLIDES DOWN 1 CORNER USE YOUR SUCKERS 2 TO STICK IT TO YOUR TANK THE SMALL PIECE OF PLASTIC IT SHOULD HAVE SLOTS IN IT OR HLOES THAT GOES ON YOUR PIPE THE 1 YOUV JUST PUT IN THEN THAT GOES ON YOUR IN TAP PUSH IT ON AND SCREWTHE CAP DOWN JUST A FEW THREDS DONT THRED IT TO TIGHT THEN THE OTHER END OF YOUR TANK YOU PUT THE OTHER U SHAPED PIPE HANG IT OVER YOUR TANK OUT LET PIPE OR THE SPRAY BARA LONG PIPE WITH HOLES IN USE THE SUCKERS TO STICK IT UNDER THE COVER GLASSLEVEL WITH WATER LINE THEN GLOSE OUT TAPS TAKE IN TAP OF FILTER AND SUCK THEN PUT BACK QUICKLY THE SYPHON SHOULD START FILL THE FILTER UP THEN TURN IT ON OPEN THE TAPS AND IT SHOULD WORK IF GET PROBLEMS GIVE ME A RING ITS EASYER TO TELL YOU MY NAME IS MEL 01507 473133 IVE GOT SEVEN RUNNING MY DISCUS TANK THEY ARE EASY TO USE JUST HARD FOR THE FIST TIME HOPE THIS HELPS :crazy:

Have a look at the Eheim website... it looks like a "pro" clone..... basically you will need to fill the filter and pipes with water, all externals (well, most) will have a mechanism to "prime" it - this will draw water down the inlet pipe and push air out the outlet.
The Eheim site carries manuals so you should get close, if not an exact match.

ABSOLUTLY DO NOT run the filter unless its FULL of water...

Hi Oscar,

I completely agree with Mel and Rooster. Mel is right, they're easy once you get the hand of it and Rooster is right that the Eheim site should help you. The filter you have looks virtually idential to an Eheim Pro2 or Pro1 style. Here are my comments in case it adds anything to theirs: (note: the terms input/output are relative to the -pump-)

1) Going after it directly, before finding any instrucs: It sounds like you've probably figured out the putting together, maybe just not the priming with water? It might help to picture normal operation. Be sure any shutoff valves are open. Normally you (one way or another!) give a big suck on the air in the output tube and this pulls tank water into the input tube and over the height of the input crook that goes over your tank wall - thus starting a siphon effect which quickly fills the (not running) filter. Once the entire filter and both tubes are filled this way, the only air remaining to be pushed out is the last bit near where you sucked, the output crook that leads to the spray bar (hooked on later.) Once all this water is in and valves are still open of course, you can plug in the filter and, with a few spurts of noise from the remaining air, it should easily push the water over the remaining little crook and start operation. Note that your sink test may not have worked because the heights are wrong for the siphon effect.

2) Going about getting eheim users guides: Checking the startup instrucs from some models of both the Pro1 and Pro2 model lines may be helpful to you. Getting them can be a bit odd. If you have a choice between wired or wireless connection in your home, choose wired because the pdf files will be a little large and slow to download. I've found that pointing your web browser to www.eheim.com and then clicking on the *germany* part of the map and getting the german site (rather than the north american or others) is one way to go (bear with me.) At the german home page look far right and click on EN for english. Then look far left for "downloads", then click the button for "Manuals." Then choose External filters. You should get to a list of pdf files for groups of filter models. If you are unfamiliar with eheim models, you could choose the "professional 2222..." to start and then maybe the "professional II 2026..." as I think they may be roughly similar to yours. Once you open one, be patient! All the languages are run together and the english part will be buried part-way down in the document.

Oh and here's a link that might take you right there if we are lucky:
http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index.js...mp;list=afilter

3) Eheim sells a little suction bulb (looks like a gray racket ball) that you can press onto the output tube over the tank and squeeze a few times to accomplish the priming. It has a little one-way valve that dumps air out a little clear air-tube pigtail so that each squeeze is additive to the vacuum. I bought one of these and its a great addition if your pump doesn't have any built-in priming mechanisms (can't tell if yours does from the picture!)

Good Luck and let me know if I can be of further help,
~~waterdrop~~

Thanks for all of your help guys. I setup the filter in the kitchen sink and did what you all said. Seems to be working very well.

The only prblem that the filter is making a little too much noise (I want it in my bedroom tank). Itys maming the vibrating noise that some of my internals make if the flow is restricted. All of the taps seem to be open though. Has anyone else had this problem?

Many thanks

You have an air bubble in the top of the canister, if you undo the top air trap and let the air rush out, that should make it a lot quieter.

Chris

HI THERE TAKE THE 2 TAPS PUT THE TUBING ON ONE END YOUL SEE WICH END THEN THE OTHER SCREWS ON TO YOUR FILTER THEY SHOULD SWIVEL AROUND OK MEASURE THE TUBING FROM WHERE YOUR FILTER IS STOOD PREF UNDER YOUR TANK THEN PUT THE U SHAPE PIPING ON END OF TUBING THAT GOES OVER YOUR TANK AND SLIDES DOWN 1 CORNER USE YOUR SUCKERS 2 TO STICK IT TO YOUR TANK THE SMALL PIECE OF PLASTIC IT SHOULD HAVE SLOTS IN IT OR HLOES THAT GOES ON YOUR PIPE THE 1 YOUV JUST PUT IN THEN THAT GOES ON YOUR IN TAP PUSH IT ON AND SCREWTHE CAP DOWN JUST A FEW THREDS DONT THRED IT TO TIGHT THEN THE OTHER END OF YOUR TANK YOU PUT THE OTHER U SHAPED PIPE HANG IT OVER YOUR TANK OUT LET PIPE OR THE SPRAY BARA LONG PIPE WITH HOLES IN USE THE SUCKERS TO STICK IT UNDER THE COVER GLASSLEVEL WITH WATER LINE THEN GLOSE OUT TAPS TAKE IN TAP OF FILTER AND SUCK THEN PUT BACK QUICKLY THE SYPHON SHOULD START FILL THE FILTER UP THEN TURN IT ON OPEN THE TAPS AND IT SHOULD WORK IF GET PROBLEMS GIVE ME A RING ITS EASYER TO TELL YOU MY NAME IS MEL 01507 473133 IVE GOT SEVEN RUNNING MY DISCUS TANK THEY ARE EASY TO USE JUST HARD FOR THE FIST TIME HOPE THIS HELPS :crazy:

looks like you need help with you PC mate your caps lock seams to be stuck on

Most reactions

Back