Help! My Goldfish Is Upside Down

eljhae

Reaction score
my red cap oranda has been upside down for a few days now. he hasn't been eating either. he just floats around sometimes, but usually stays at the bottom of the tank upside down and listless. he hasn't had a bowel movement either, which i think is due to him not eating or i think he might be constipated. i'm not sure if he ate a rock, but i dont know how to tell if he did.

i own a 10 gal tank. i have a fancy tail, a lion head, and my red cap oranda. i do 50% water changes every 2 weeks. i use tap water conditioner, stress coat, stress zyme, and salt. i don't have current h2o conditions, but it was normal the last time i checked. i'm not sure of the type of filtration, but i use the biobag filter.

i have tried to go online and research. so far what i have done are:
1. clean the tank and give fungus clear medicine.
2. attempted to give him thawed green peas, but not sure if he did eat some.

this is a picture of him that i took today.
cheddarooney.jpg

any help or suggestions would be appreciated to save my cheddar :sad:

thank you.

Try treating with a bacterial medication. It may also be internal as well. If you can I would isolate him and try feeding him peas to see if he is really eating them or not.

Best of Luck! :fish:

Your water doesnt look at all clean. And I personally think 50% change in 2 weeks with those 3 pigs isnt enough. 50% once a week for me in a 55 isnt enough

Your goldfish has a swimbladder disorder. More info;

a. Swimbladder disorders are often caused by internal bacterial infection, this often starts with constipation but sometimes it can purely be just the internal bacterial infection and no constipation.
b. In fish like fancy goldfish (like orandas), swimbladder disorders are most commonly caused by constipation. Many fancy goldfish are already prone to this condition due to the way they have been bred to have a very compact and unnatural gut shape (unlike "slim type" goldfish like common and comet goldfish which have a more natural body and gut shape), they guts are prone to getting constipated because of this fat compact gut shape and when they do get constipation this puts pressure on the swimbladder, causing the fish to have a swimbladder disorder. In longer term cases of untreated constipation, the food can start to rot in the fishes gut, usually causing a bacterial infection and gas problems which makes the disorder much worse and more difficult to treat.
c. What causes constipation? Over-feeding or feeding too many dried (particularly high protein foods) like fish flakes/pelets or dried foods like tubifex and bloodworms and/or not feeding enough veg in the fishes diet.

Basically, the most effective way to deal with swimbladder disorders is to deal with the fishes diet and treat the fish with a med that specifically treats internal bacterial problems (like "anti internal bacteria" by Interpet). To deal with the fishes diet you should cut back a great deal on the feeding of dried foods (even temporarily stop- don't worry the fish won't starve, goldfish can easily go up to two weeks without food, goldfish have a lot of body fats which can allow them to go for long periods of time without much or any food- its how they hibernate in ponds during the winter), and feed only veg (like chopped up cooked de-shelled pea's or blanched or cooked and chopped up spinache) and feed only frozen foods like daphinia (which is good for fishes digestion), which you should be able to get from any good lfs/local fish store.
If you do this, and keep the tank clean, the goldfish should be better in no time :good: .
I would definately advise you do water changes on a more regular basis, more like 50% once a week.
The average tank cleaning regime for anyone's tanks (as long as they are not cycling or overstocked), should be like this;
a. 25-60% water change once a week with dechlorinator.
b. Clean substrate once a week.
c. Clean filter once every 1-3weeks or more (depending on how quickly it gets dirty, you should clean it often enough so that it has a decent current).
d. Check heaters, filters, lighting etc for any limescale buildup, check to see if everythings working etc.
e. Test tank for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and ph every now and then to make sure there are no water quality issues- even if the water looks sparkling clean, you can't see stuff like ammonia and it may be present in the water- the only way to find out if your water quality is good is to test it.

In a healthy tank ammonia and nitrites should be 0, with nitrates preferably kept under 40.
I have to warn you that for a 10gal, its too small for your goldfish. For fancy goldfish, you should at least 20gals for the first one and 10 for every one after that. At the absolute bare minimum, for three fancy goldfish they should be in an over-filtered 30gal long tank. Deseases/illness in fish is also commonly brought about by stress too, like from inadequate water quality or overstocking the tank etc etc, so it is in your fishes best interests and health/quality of life that you upgrade their tank to help prevent encountering future health or behavioral problems with them :nod: .

Your water doesnt look at all clean. And I personally think 50% change in 2 weeks with those 3 pigs isnt enough. 50% once a week for me in a 55 isnt enough

my h2o doesn't look clean because i am currently treating it with medication. and because of my treatments, i am doing 50% h2o changes every week. thank you for your input :)

Try treating with a bacterial medication. It may also be internal as well. If you can I would isolate him and try feeding him peas to see if he is really eating them or not.

Best of Luck! :fish:

thank you for your input. i really hope that cheddar will get better. :sad:

and thank you Tokis-Phoenix!

i took your advice and bought the Interpet product online because it isn't available here at our local fish stores. i tried thawed de-shelled and i just gave them a cube of frozen brine shrimp. i haven't fed my fish in 5 days. so i really hope it helps cheddar get better. so thanks again! and i just really hope my fish gets better soon :nod:

hope your fish is a bit better...I have a black fish which has bad sb......I keep thinking he has gone but next day he is right way up..trouble is I have now noticed he has a bit of fungus as well

hi. I bought the anti internal bacteria by interpet and just now given my fish a dose. Took a while because I had to buy it from ebay and I just now got it. When I was reading the booklet that came with it, there is a medication by interpet specifically for swim bladder. Though when I was reading it, it treats the same bacteria as the anti internal medication that I had just purchased. Do you think I should still get that medication or just wait for a result from the anti internal medication. I just dont know how long I should wait. And if it will really matter if I get the other medication because it treats the same bacteria. He's been eating peas though and tries to swim upright but still goes back to the upside down position. I feel really bad for him. Please advise me on this one. thank you.

Your goldfish has a swimbladder disorder. More info;

a. Swimbladder disorders are often caused by internal bacterial infection, this often starts with constipation but sometimes it can purely be just the internal bacterial infection and no constipation.
b. In fish like fancy goldfish (like orandas), swimbladder disorders are most commonly caused by constipation. Many fancy goldfish are already prone to this condition due to the way they have been bred to have a very compact and unnatural gut shape (unlike "slim type" goldfish like common and comet goldfish which have a more natural body and gut shape), they guts are prone to getting constipated because of this fat compact gut shape and when they do get constipation this puts pressure on the swimbladder, causing the fish to have a swimbladder disorder. In longer term cases of untreated constipation, the food can start to rot in the fishes gut, usually causing a bacterial infection and gas problems which makes the disorder much worse and more difficult to treat.
c. What causes constipation? Over-feeding or feeding too many dried (particularly high protein foods) like fish flakes/pelets or dried foods like tubifex and bloodworms and/or not feeding enough veg in the fishes diet.

Basically, the most effective way to deal with swimbladder disorders is to deal with the fishes diet and treat the fish with a med that specifically treats internal bacterial problems (like "anti internal bacteria" by Interpet). To deal with the fishes diet you should cut back a great deal on the feeding of dried foods (even temporarily stop- don't worry the fish won't starve, goldfish can easily go up to two weeks without food, goldfish have a lot of body fats which can allow them to go for long periods of time without much or any food- its how they hibernate in ponds during the winter), and feed only veg (like chopped up cooked de-shelled pea's or blanched or cooked and chopped up spinache) and feed only frozen foods like daphinia (which is good for fishes digestion), which you should be able to get from any good lfs/local fish store.
If you do this, and keep the tank clean, the goldfish should be better in no time :good: .
I would definately advise you do water changes on a more regular basis, more like 50% once a week.
The average tank cleaning regime for anyone's tanks (as long as they are not cycling or overstocked), should be like this;
a. 25-60% water change once a week with dechlorinator.
b. Clean substrate once a week.
c. Clean filter once every 1-3weeks or more (depending on how quickly it gets dirty, you should clean it often enough so that it has a decent current).
d. Check heaters, filters, lighting etc for any limescale buildup, check to see if everythings working etc.
e. Test tank for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and ph every now and then to make sure there are no water quality issues- even if the water looks sparkling clean, you can't see stuff like ammonia and it may be present in the water- the only way to find out if your water quality is good is to test it.

In a healthy tank ammonia and nitrites should be 0, with nitrates preferably kept under 40.
I have to warn you that for a 10gal, its too small for your goldfish. For fancy goldfish, you should at least 20gals for the first one and 10 for every one after that. At the absolute bare minimum, for three fancy goldfish they should be in an over-filtered 30gal long tank. Deseases/illness in fish is also commonly brought about by stress too, like from inadequate water quality or overstocking the tank etc etc, so it is in your fishes best interests and health/quality of life that you upgrade their tank to help prevent encountering future health or behavioral problems with them :nod: .

I would say he is a bit better I think. He eats the peas that i give him now and tries to at least swim upright, but still goes back to the upside down position. I really do hope he gets better. I feel so bad for him. how is your fish doing? what have you done so far to treat your fish?

hope your fish is a bit better...I have a black fish which has bad sb......I keep thinking he has gone but next day he is right way up..trouble is I have now noticed he has a bit of fungus as well

Have you bought test kits?

high nitrates can make fish flip over too so you really need to get it tested.

10 gallons is way too small as well and your fish need 10 gallons each. Once you start looking at water quality then you can look at the fish.

Dont feed any of your fish for 3 days and see if that helps at all, if not then i doubt any medication will help.

Most reactions

Back