Help, My Fish Is Acting Really Odd.

Anglerfish

Reaction score
We've had Gilligan for 5 months now and he started acting really strange. He runs into his aquarium rocks and plants at night and now he just floats at the top fins clamped barely moving. When he does move its in twitchy movements. He eats normally but has stopped making bubble nests completely or any bubbles for that matter. I went through online databases of beta diseases and I cant find one that matches. He has no tell-tale sploches of paracites, no swelling, no gold dust, but he has turned a grey color instead of his vibrant blue. If someone had anything similar happen or if you know anything to help I'd greatly appreciate it. :-(

slime coat, swimbladder or even stray voltage. :crazy:
how long have you had him? have you seen his poo lately? is he pale? rapid breathing?
keep us posted.
cheers

Well we've had him for five months and he's normally quite active and builds bubble nest like crazy. But not for the past week. He's normally a nice blue but now his a little dark greyish. No rapid breathing just very lathargic and his poo is normal. I heard that he has been depressed lately ):

whats your tank stats
what size tank when was the last
water change
and what filter do you have

The tank is a simple 2 gallon glass bowl and the water is changed every friday. We dont have a filter but the water is treated every time the water is changed.

Could probably do with upping water changes if he's in an unfiltered bowl. Maybe do 50% every couple of days, it'll help him feel better

id do waterchanges at 50% every day for no less than 5 days. see if he improves. after, cut back feeding to every other day and change 50% of the water 2-3 times a week.
cheers

Looks like his condition has finally surfaced. He has massive swelling and dificulty swimming. Im thinking its his swim bladder or constipation because he cannot dive down in his bowl at all and when he tries he floats quickly back to the top. gonna attempt the pea trick.

Unfortuantley Gil died this morning problem soved i guess D:

Sorry for your loss. If you plan on getting a betta again in the future I would definitely recommend getting a small filter. The water conditions could well has contributed to his short life.
Weekly water changes of 20%+ should be fine if you have a cycled filter in there. But as previously mentioned they should be every couple of days in an unfiltered bowl, with a 100% change weekly for good measure unless you have an ammonia testing kit (if you do you can see if 50% changes are keeping ammonia low enough).

Most reactions

Back