Help- My Female Bettas Are Dying.

Frollickyfish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I found one of my females dead and half eaten and yet she had shown no signs of illness. Yesterday I noticed one of my others acting rather scared and hiding so I seperated her and she has gone from bad to worse, clamped fins, looking pale and trying to hide where ever she can. I woke up this morning to find yet another suddenly dead and my gorgeous Cambo Ct resting on the bottom with a very fat belly. Ive put her in a floating breeding box and Ive treated with anti internal bacteria meds after doing a big water change and fed them all peas which all but the two who are sick have eaten. They are both going down hill fast and nowhere around here sells Epsom salts. What is left that I can do?

Size of tank in gallons or litries.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing.
Any excess mucas on the fish.
What does it look like when the fish go to the toilet.
Are scales sticking out.
Epson salt baths help draw the fluids out, you can buy epson salt at a chemist.

Size of tank in gallons or litries.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing.
Any excess mucas on the fish.
What does it look like when the fish go to the toilet.
Are scales sticking out.
Epson salt baths help draw the fluids out, you can buy epson salt at a chemist.

70 litre
8 female Bettas, 1 albino cory, snails!
Water stats are all spot on.
No flicking or rubbing
Cant see any excess mucas
The fish poo is normal in the healthy ones but I cant get the sick ones to poo so cant tell.
No scales sticking out but one of them is exteremely bloated and neither will eat.
Asda pharmacy doesnt stock it any more, boots have had a national recall and the little chemists have all been closed today.

No it was just luke warm. Should I do a water change and then dose again?
Dis the first dose last night but it says not to do again till the 4th day

You can double dose with anti bacterial med in severe cases, a member rang interpet up and told him this.
Add a second dose but it quite hot water.
Increase aeration in the tank.

You can double dose with anti bacterial med in severe cases, a member rang interpet up and told him this.
Add a second dose but it quite hot water.
Increase aeration in the tank.
Thanks for the advice, I shall try that now.

A member rang interpet saying the med dosn't seem to be working he advised him that he could double doses in bad strains of bacteria.
If you worried try half the dose first to see how they go.

Can you issolate all the sick fish.
I would remove the snails if you are going to double dose.
If you are losing nearly all your fish there nothing to lose.

Well my female Ct has just died :sad: I know it sounds awful but I cut her open to see what the swelling is and it was an anormous sack of eggs. If she was egg bound what could I have done for her? Im sure the others that died and my other poorly girl is down to internal bacteria though and the CT being egg bound just a coincidence.

Bless her R.I.P.
Egg bound you are meant to use epson salt baths to help draw the fluids out again.
I would do a search on the net to see if you can buy epson salts on the net, try chemist sites.

Bless her R.I.P.
Egg bound you are meant to use epson salt baths to help draw the fluids out again.
I would do a search on the net to see if you can buy epson salts on the net, try chemist sites.
Thanks, I will. Apart from her huge tummy she looked perfect thats why I wondered if it was something else. My copper girl is in a seperate tank now but Ive also treated the big tank to help stop it from spreading. Her tummy is not that big but she looks pineconed all over, her fins are clamped and suddenly she looks like she is developing a bit of fin rot. Im so upset especially as I was intending to spawn her next week. My Ct who died spawned nearly 70 babies 2 weeks ago so at least she will live on in them.

I know it awful you tend to lose a few fish then it will settle down again.
Fingers crossed, but once scales stick out fish never seem to make it.
Good luck.

Most reactions

Back