Help! My Ciclid Has Amonia Poisoning.

estella

Reaction score
HELP - Amonia poisoning. Save my Cichlid

I have emptied, cleaned and refilled his tank.

I have added a second filter to aeriate well.

I have added chlorine salt 14 grams per 4.5 liters of water.

I have reduced his food but he still eats up side down.

He is alert and comes when he hears me near the tank.

He swims upright if I turn him and support him upright but then rolls over again.

He was motionless on the floor of the tank but has perkd up to the extent mentioned.

I know I am to blame for not leaving instructions to change his water etc. while I was away all summer. Please
help - he is four years old and 12 inches long and I don;t want him to die.

How big is the tank and what filtration do you have? What kind of cichlid, and could you post any test results you have for your water please?

Can you test the water?

Its the best way to know for sure if it is amonia.
What's the setup of your tank?

Anyway if it is Amonia you can do a Partial water change. This will help balance the amonia of your tank.
But if it is amonia it will not solve the problem just slow it down,you still have to find out why and where is the amonia coming from?
Did you cycle the tank properly?
Is your filter good enough for that tank?

We need more info on your tank.

How big is the tank and what filtration do you have? What kind of cichlid, and could you post any test results you have for your water please?
Hi fluttermoth. Arthur is not so up side down today. Well oxygenated and amonia out of system. Swimbladder not right yet - I think he is constipated. I have fed him peas this morning to shift his bowel.
Thanks for your support

Why are you adding salt if you don`t know what`s wrong with him? Are you testing the water, if so please post the results. :unsure:

I just recently dealt with ammonia poisoning with my cichlids and they are still in the processing of recovering. I have attached 2 links that helped me a lot. Some of the things you have already done but you might want to read them anyway. My cichlids are much better now. I had also been salting my tank because I thought it would treat parasites, etc. then I read where salt can raise ammonia levels. I stopped the salt and this has also helped tremendously. Good luck and hope he survives.

http://www.beverlyspet.com/fishtalk/Handling%20High%20Ammonia%20Levels.htm

http://www.bigskycichlids.com/ammonia_article.htm

Most reactions

Back