Help Me :[

Spader

Fishaholic
Reaction score
so i have a black mollie and he was always fien but then his fins one day were totally gone. He has no fins, i think from fin rot, and the medication didnt work. he cant eat either. how can i kill him so he doesnt suffer any longer?

The whole thread has ways to euthanize a fish. It just depends on how you think you should do it. Hopefully you won't choose to flush it down the loo or boiling.It's a touchy subject.

I personally think that you did the most humane method available to us.....rapid cold immersion. To help you feel better about this, here are some thoughts for you.

Fish volume is so small that rapid immersion will almost instantaneously drop a tropical fish's temp down to that of the water. Cold temps deaden nerve transmission, so, cold is a topical anesthetic. Not only that, the brain will rapidly become unconscious, so you have decreased pain and unconsciousness, two of the main ingredients for a humane euthanasia.

If what humans experience can be roughly translated to fish (no one will ever know for sure), hypothermia is supposed to be a euphoric experience. I think you did the right thing.

Sorry for your loss. SH

Most reactions

Back