Help me stock my nano tank

I don't have any suggestions beyond what have already been made, but what a fun thread to read. Thanks for the good info, everybody. Personally, I'm intrigued by some of the wild bettas that live in coastal areas...but it's hard to argue with CPDs. I've always wanted to keep them but my water is too soft.

Thanks Byron, this is excellent just what I wanted. An other species I've been considering is a trio of Black Tiger Dario, from similar regions of Burma as the other fish (though not Lake Inle) a lot of the profiles say high ph but not so hard water but I've never heard of this kind of water? And it feels likely they must interact with harder water at some point given how close they are geographically.

There are locations in SE Asia with very soft water having a basic pH in the 7's. The celestial "danio" Danio margaritatus for example occurs in boggy areas and shallow ponds where the water is slightly basic with a pH of 7.3 but is very soft.

@Wills

My supplier has some gorgeous little mini Rainbows (as I call them), really really pretty fish....Gertrudae, Furcata and Celebes....would they be a suitable option for your Nano aquarium?

Scoll down the page and you'll see them :)

Thanks guys - I'm really struggling to make a decision on what I want to do in here... if I didnt have my shrimp and need the snails I'd probably have gone Dwarf Puffers but maybe a bit small but think it would be ok because of how dense the scape is.

I feel like I want fewer fish that are slightly larger. The Croaking Gourami are quite interesting in that respect, but again would shrimp be at risk? A big group of Tiger Badis I think are of merit but need to think on that one... I've looked at a few harder water species of Killifish recently but had to find...

Thanks guys - I'm really struggling to make a decision on what I want to do in here... if I didnt have my shrimp and need the snails I'd probably have gone Dwarf Puffers but maybe a bit small but think it would be ok because of how dense the scape is.

I feel like I want fewer fish that are slightly larger. The Croaking Gourami are quite interesting in that respect, but again would shrimp be at risk? A big group of Tiger Badis I think are of merit but need to think on that one... I've looked at a few harder water species of Killifish recently but had to find...
I wonder whether @GaryE might have some ideas for killifish that are from harder water areas.

Could always set up another tank for shrimp... ;) But you'd only wind up in the same position I know, looking for another nano fish species to go with them!

@Wills

My supplier has some gorgeous little mini Rainbows (as I call them), really really pretty fish....Gertrudae, Furcata and Celebes....would they be a suitable option for your Nano aquarium?

Scoll down the page and you'll see them :)
You've used this supplier before then? I've browsed their site a few times, but I get nervous at the idea of buying fish sight unseen. Have only bought fish I could see myself in the store, or from a local hobbyist so far. How do you rate this place?

Im on a nano fish only thing at the moment myself.
Scarlet Badis? Pygmy Corys? Microdevario Kubotai? Heterandria Formosa though the latter breed like the livebearers they are.

Im on a nano fish only thing at the moment myself.
Scarlet Badis? Pygmy Corys? Microdevario Kubotai? Heterandria Formosa though the latter breed like the livebearers they are.
Good shout on the live bearers I’ve wondered about a few small species but think I will get over run in a small tank. The others you mentioned are a bit too soft for my harder water though.

You've used this supplier before then? I've browsed their site a few times, but I get nervous at the idea of buying fish sight unseen. Have only bought fish I could see myself in the store, or from a local hobbyist so far. How do you rate this place?
I would say that 90% of my fish are from Aquatics To Your Door and I have never had any issues with them or the fish in over 10 years or so.

All of my current stock in both aquariums came from there, all healthy, no dodgy fish or DOA's at all.

They have never let me down (unlike one other firm).

Most reactions

Back