Help Me Sex These Two New Bettas

I think White is Male the Black could go either way, If you find out you can't keep him DON'T take it bk to LFS find a better home for him ^.^

Hummmm........
Not sure about the white one......has male length ventrils, but having seen this recently in females in our spawns it may not be a true indicator of sex. The anal fin looks pretty female though.

The black one i would say is male pk.......probably :lol: The anal is extending at the tip, under body shape is pretty flat, and face/head shape looks very pk'ish. Check out the shape of the pk in my avatar.

If you can seperate the black one just incase it has a problem it would be better, but you'll need to watch them all very closely :good:
I made a mistake and inadvertainly put what i thought was a female into my female tank, and it got hammered by the others. Twas a male and got pretty beat up, so be vigilant :good:

I think White is Male the Black could go either way, If you find out you can't keep him DON'T take it bk to LFS find a better home for him ^.^

unfortunately that is easier said than done over here. none of my friends are into fish keeping and they're not interested...i already had to ask once before. none of the members here seem to be from miami either so i'm out of options when it comes to finding new homes for fish i can no longer keep unfortunately :(

bronzecat, thanks for the tips. i'll keep an eye out. the black one found a hiding spot under a small piece of wood. took us a long time to see it 'cause it's all black and the light doesn't get under that wood, so he/she is like a ghost in there. it did flare once already but it looked very female-ish...no male-like beard and it flared just like my other females flare at each other.

the white one, for being as big as she/he is, keeps getting bullied around and hasnt stood up for itself yet :S

the saga continues...

EDIT: from tip of the mouth to the tip of the tail my other females measure from 1" to 1.7"...this white one is 2-2.1" in length. in girth is it about twice that of my 1.7" blue VT and about 4 times that of my 1" CT...chunky! anyways, it/he/she decided to flare at my finger and i think that beard looked male! going to research beards now...

EDIT2: check this out:
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...&1218894033
that's exactly like mine, down to the mustache on the lip and the little red on the short front fins (name?). i think that may be the breeder my LFS bought from as he's in my state...sent him a message :good: the one on his auction is male...and looks like mine's twin brother :good:

BUMP!

even though i've come to be pretty sure they were both males, here's a video to confirm it.
i'm returning the black one as I can't have more males and like some of you said, he looks emaciated.

i'm keeping the white one, named Apollo now that we believe him to be male.
while in the tank he didnt really do much/anything to the females. i still decided to put him on a cup in the meantime to see if he'd make a bubble nest for me (not done but he is bubbling) and to put him with a mirror...and it worked. he's got a beard, no ovipositor and the face looks male (mind you i have and have had several other females).

still, here's a quick video...can one of you experts please watch it and give the final word? i believe him to be male...but male what? he's short-finned but that's all he has in common with plakats, neither of his fins (caudal,dorsal, tail) look like a plakat's to me...so what is he?
thanks!

youtube video

:good:

BUMP!

even though i've come to be pretty sure they were both males, here's a video to confirm it.
i'm returning the black one as I can't have more males and like some of you said, he looks emaciated.

i'm keeping the white one, named Apollo now that we believe him to be male.
while in the tank he didnt really do much/anything to the females. i still decided to put him on a cup in the meantime to see if he'd make a bubble nest for me (not done but he is bubbling) and to put him with a mirror...and it worked. he's got a beard, no ovipositor and the face looks male (mind you i have and have had several other females).

still, here's a quick video...can one of you experts please watch it and give the final word? i believe him to be male...but male what? he's short-finned but that's all he has in common with plakats, neither of his fins (caudal,dorsal, tail) look like a plakat's to me...so what is he?
thanks!

youtube video

:good:
i'd say definitely a boy. fins look PK to me, but tail is ordinary PK not HMPK. he's a stunning fish :good:

looks a lot like my old PK stardust shape-wise
P1200023.jpg

(P.S. caudal fin and tail are just 2 names for the same thing)

thanks!

so if the top fin is dorsal, caudal is the tail, which one is the bottom one? what are the two that come down from his face called? :blush:

anyways, i gave away my VT male so now Apollo has his own 4G partition on the 10G tank...without current, heated and filtered with some plants (more to come!)....he's got BLACK gravel on his partition :cool:

let's see how things go...if i ever get into breeding he'll be my first male...probably with my aqua cambodian(?) female :nod:

Yeah, they both looked male to me, but it is hard to tell.

Your little Apollo is gorgeous though!! I wish the places here got in black and white bettas *drools*

Yeah, they both looked male to me, but it is hard to tell.

Your little Apollo is gorgeous though!! I wish the places here got in black and white bettas *drools*

thanks. most LFS around me dont ever stock anything other than CT and VTs...and never "exotic" ones...but since the people at this pet supermarket know me so well I guess they listened when I said they ought to order "more exotic fish like rare bettas..." they got 3 white PK males, the one black PK male I just returned and a very nice CT as well...but thats not it...they even got some "chinese hi-fin banded sharks" or something...first time I had seen them :blink:

anyways, now i found another store, this one privately-owned but a little ways off from my home. last time I passed by they hadn't gotten their shipment in, but still they had two double tails (never seen at any other LFS here), one of which was PINK! now my girl is bent on getting a double-tail pink female for our sorority :rolleyes:

regarding white bettas, this was the first time I had ever seen them at any store, that's why I didnt even hesitate on getting one despite it's $20 price tag :blink: anyways, at the PetCo where i bought my multi-color/black/green/blue/orange HM the guy told me they had gotten a white/opaque HM that had sold 2 hours before I got there :shout:

thanks!

so if the top fin is dorsal, caudal is the tail, which one is the bottom one? what are the two that come down from his face called? :blush:

anyways, i gave away my VT male so now Apollo has his own 4G partition on the 10G tank...without current, heated and filtered with some plants (more to come!)....he's got BLACK gravel on his partition :cool:

let's see how things go...if i ever get into breeding he'll be my first male...probably with my aqua cambodian(?) female :nod:
http://www.healthybetta.com/betta-anatomy

thanks for that...makes a lot of previously read posts make more sense :blush:

Most reactions

Back