Help Me Choose A Substrate

Dave L

Reaction score
Hi all,

As mentioned in previous posts I am just waiting on a cabinet for my 6x2x2 aquarium which is probably around to weeks away. In the meantime I have been preparing for it's arrival and pulling together all the things I need.

I now need to get my substrate but really can't make up my mind. Its going to be a planted community tank with some nice pieces of bog wood. I had made my mind up that I would go with sand and was going to opt for the play sand I see recommended many times on here.

I just got the Jewel Stone Granite background which has now got me thinking about a darker substrate. I've been looking at Seachem Onyx Sand.

It's not really a cost issue although a substantial saving with the play sand would be very nice (Around £160 vs around £10 or so). It's one of those cases of "oh, I wish I had gone with the Onyx Sand now" or "should I have just gone with the play sand". Would the extra cost of Oxy sand pay off or would it be better to use those funds on stocking.

Of coarse we all want our tanks to look nice. Excluding the benefits of the Onyx sand would the lighter colour of play sand look nicer with the bog wood on it or via versa.

What would you do?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Dave.

what plants are you planning on having? what will be your lighting? dosing ferts? co2?

You can have a nice planted tank without an expensive substrate :good: (well mine is just gravel and i think its nice :lol: :lol:)

You could just use root tabs for the heavy root feeders and liquid ferts for the rest of the plants. co2 would depend on how much light you had in the tank

what plants are you planning on having? what will be your lighting? dosing ferts? co2?

You can have a nice planted tank without an expensive substrate :good: (well mine is just gravel and i think its nice :lol: :lol:)

You could just use root tabs for the heavy root feeders and liquid ferts for the rest of the plants. co2 would depend on how much light you had in the tank

Hi Ian,

Yes, I think your tanks looks great.

Haven't fully decided on the plants yet but will be seeking advice on that later. Lighting is around 2wpg (8 x 36W 180 cm T5's).
I didn't plan on using CO2, at least not initially, but would do at some point in the future if it's needed.

Thanks

Dave

with 2wpg on a tank that big you will need co2!!

in my tank i just have really easy to grow low light plants (crypts, java fern, anubais) and a couple of fast growing stem plants to keep the algae down. Maybe cut down the light a bit and have the easy plants?

Best bet would to be to go and ask in the planted section for advice :good:

It's similar to buying a car, a White Car will get dirty quicker and a Black car will show up every single dent when the sun hits it and thats near enough how you need to look at it with the substrate front, a darver substrate wont show up mess on the bottom. If you are planning on have the tank in a room which will act as the center piece or the focal point when someone enters the room it doesn't look too good with crap on the bottom of the tank bed which will show up more on a lighter substrate than a darker. Everyones different I suppose but I have found sand to be a #### keeping clean in the past unless you intend hoovering the bed on a daily basis which will have you losing sand on a gradual basis.

No doubt though white sand looks the part it's just down to keeping it clean, a white car looks great just off the Polish car wash front but drive it 10miles down the A21 and its a dirty ***** up Bedford lane on a Friday night!

Go with the dark!

It's similar to buying a car, a White Car will get dirty quicker and a Black car will show up every single dent when the sun hits it and thats near enough how you need to look at it with the substrate front, a darver substrate wont show up mess on the bottom. If you are planning on have the tank in a room which will act as the center piece or the focal point when someone enters the room it doesn't look too good with crap on the bottom of the tank bed which will show up more on a lighter substrate than a darker. Everyones different I suppose but I have found sand to be a #### keeping clean in the past unless you intend hoovering the bed on a daily basis which will have you losing sand on a gradual basis.

No doubt though white sand looks the part it's just down to keeping it clean, a white car looks great just off the Polish car wash front but drive it 10miles down the A21 and its a dirty ***** up Bedford lane on a Friday night!

Go with the dark!

Cheers Boxa,

Nice analogy and puts the point across well.

I had just about decided on the play sand but now you got me thinking again.....

Realistically, I may say to myself that I'll clean daily or every other day but I know me!!! Once a week once the newness has gone.

Now, the question is:

Seachem Flourite Black Sand or Seachem Black Onyx sand :blink:

From reading up on the Onyx it can raise pH a little. I already have pH of 7.8 so don't really want it going higher. Anybody have any experience of these two substrates, or recommend another dark/black one?

Thanks again

Dave.

So, I've just about made up my mind. It's down to two;

Seachem Flourite Black Sand or Caribsea Eco-Complete.

Appreciate any feedback or experience with these two substrates. Which one would you go with and why?

Thanks

Dave.

Argos playpit sand all the way...

but i like value for money!

:drink:

Just my two cents worth, GO BLACK!!!!!!!!!

I used to use the play sand, within hours of cleaning it was covered in poop again, drove me insane. So switched to black. Now use black on all my tanks.

Whilst I dont have the worry of live plants to worry about which is best, I would say use the eco complete if you want a nice planted tank.

But definately darker is best IMO :)

Well, I decided in the end to go with Eco-Complete.

I just ordered 10-bags from Here for £15.95 per bag, which I thought was a great buy.

Hi Dave L :good:

Nice choice. I'm also looking for a sand substrate...I'm thinking maybe a mix of dark and light sand spread over layered surfaces.

Did you ever think of using two different colour/types? What do you think it would look like...?

Edit: Also, are you adding any other layers beneith your sand..peat/layer fine gravel, grids or whatever?

Hi Dave L :good:

Nice choice. I'm also looking for a sand substrate...I'm thinking maybe a mix of dark and light sand spread over layered surfaces.

Did you ever think of using two different colour/types? What do you think it would look like...?

Edit: Also, are you adding any other layers beneith your sand..peat/layer fine gravel, grids or whatever?

I was going to use Seachem Flourite Black Sand but it worked out considerably more expensive. Eco-Complete seems to be highly recommended on the forum and is the right colour for me.

I initially was considering Play Pit sand. Cheap and available and suitable for a planted tank but again from feed back on the forum is shows up the muck. The dark substrates don't show the muck so much and bring out the colours in the fish.

I'm not going to be using anything under or over this substrate. It's ideal for planted tanks as it is and looks great.

Regards

Dave.

"I'm not going to be using anything under or over this substrate. It's ideal for planted tanks as it is and looks great"

That's good to hear, Dave L :good: If these extra layers aren't needed..that's good enough for me :)

Most reactions

Back