Help IDing a tank?

ColourMeSurprised

Reaction score
Hi again! So I currently have a 40L tank set up getting started with a planted cycle which I’ve been asking for plenty of help with on here! While waiting for that to show good growth however I came across a facebook marketplace listing of a much larger tank with stand for a bargain and ended up nabbing that for the living room. Was expecting way more resistance from my partner but he actually quite liked the idea of having one in the living room! So oops, now we have a larger tank too XD It’s definitely a Fluval, but I’m having a little trouble determining the particular model - does anyone recognise this? It definitely looks like it’s not one they currently sell - I can take further pictures up close, if that would help at all.

I'm not seeing any pictures, maybe try reposting them?

Lord, can you tell it's been a long day? I completely blanked and forgot to attach it! :lol: Thanks for pointing that out! <3 It should be attached now!

Attachments

• 20200822_135957.jpg
    20200822_135957.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 66
No clue on the model... it is definitely a bow front, which is typically larger than most tanks that size.

If you want to figure out the volume, use this:https://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

Thanks! I used a slightly different calculator - one that takes into account for the bowing (since if measuring width at the sides it would of course be different than at the centre). It gave me a volume of 165L (~43 US Gal) - just thought I'd pop it here to see if anyone recognised the model so I could confirm that, since we seem to have misplaced our tape measure so had to do some finagling with a ruler to get the measurements! :lol: No big deal if nobody ends up knowing though - I have a rough volume, at least ^^

If it's got a curved front, it's the Vicenza. It could be an older version of the Vicenza as it doesn't look quite like the photos on their website. When manufacturers change their tanks with the same name, it's usually a cosmetic tweak, the dimensions are usually the same. The current ones are 180 and 260 litres, see if your measurements match either of those.
Fluval Vicenza

If it's got a curved front, it's the Vicenza. It could be an older version of the Vicenza as it doesn't look quite like the photos on their website. When manufacturers change their tanks with the same name, it's usually a cosmetic tweak, the dimensions are usually the same. The current ones are 180 and 260 litres, see if your measurements match either of those.
Fluval Vicenza

Ahh thank you for this! Looks like it might be the 180 then - the measurements definitely seem to match up; looks like I might have just been underestimating some of them. Thanks Essjay! Even more of a bargain now I know it's a little larger than I thought! The chap gave us a load of stuff with it too - two external pumps (one of them needed a part replacing but still works), an airstone, a sponge filter, heater, spare media for the filter, and a ton other bits and bobs.

The other thing I meant to ask, actually - the external filter is a Fluval 206. He had a box of a few different types of media for it - I know sometimes these can be unnecessary/detrimental and wanted to see if there was any opinion on whether these should be included/omitted. There was a large area in the Canister for what I assume is regular filter sponge (he left it full already), then the other half was split into sections. The kit he gave me contains:

"water polishing pad - effectively traps micro particles and debris. For crystal clear aquarium water" - Felt an awful lot like regular filter sponge but thought I'd check it wasn't something special XD
"Carbon" - from what I've seen on here not generally necessary unless the tank's been medicated? Useful to hold onto for if/when that happens, maybe?
"Ammonia remover" - :/

In the actual canister currently there's also some biomax media - is that worth keeping in? Looks like it's meant to be good for beneficial bacteria to live on and if it's in there already anyway?

I only use carbon to remove medication so I would store it away. I have a box full of carbon filters just in case. The ammonia remover may come in handy in an emergency. I have not use one in many years and then it was for a HOB filter. With a planted cycle you should not need it at all unless your plants all die at once so store or toss. Water polishing pad sounds like a gimmick to get you to buy an expensive sponge, never used one. The regular filter sponge is the important part. Looks like a very nice tank with everything you need. Good luck

I only use carbon to remove medication so I would store it away. I have a box full of carbon filters just in case. The ammonia remover may come in handy in an emergency. I have not use one in many years and then it was for a HOB filter. With a planted cycle you should not need it at all unless your plants all die at once so store or toss. Water polishing pad sounds like a gimmick to get you to buy an expensive sponge, never used one. The regular filter sponge is the important part. Looks like a very nice tank with everything you need. Good luck

Great, thanks! I'll keep the carbon and the ammonia remover just in case - there's space to store it in the cabinet so might as well.
Thanks! Yeah, we definitely lucked out, seems like. Thanks for the help! :)

Did you get the manual for the 206? if you didn't, you can download it here http://uk.hagen.com/usefultools/instructionmanuals
The media they say comes with it are: biomax (ceramic noodles), biofoam, carbon (which as you know you don't need) and polishing pad.
The polishing pads sound like expensive, pre-cut filter wool. This is used to remove fine particles from the water.

Ammonia removers starve the bacteria or plants but as RV says, they can be used in an emergency.

Did you get the manual for the 206? if you didn't, you can download it here http://uk.hagen.com/usefultools/instructionmanuals
The media they say comes with it are: biomax (ceramic noodles), biofoam, carbon (which as you know you don't need) and polishing pad.
The polishing pads sound like expensive, pre-cut filter wool. This is used to remove fine particles from the water.

Ammonia removers starve the bacteria or plants but as RV says, they can be used in an emergency.

Ah, I didn't so that's helpful, thank you! ^^

I have just noticed there are also an instruction manual for Vicenza tanks (twice), though a lot of it is a repeat of the filter manual (though they say the 205 rather than the 206).

I have used "water polishing pads" in my tanks before. It is just a superfine material that catches dust and even the smallest pieces of detritus. You can get the material a lot cheaper at a crafts store. I paid $3 for about 6ft by 3 ft section. It works well, but has to be squeezed out at least once a week. If you do not it will start to fall apart.

I have just noticed there are also an instruction manual for Vicenza tanks (twice), though a lot of it is a repeat of the filter manual (though they say the 205 rather than the 206).

Ah yes, I did find an instruction manual for the tank but it wasn't... the clearest XD I'll have another look through later as it looks like it has a lighting timer that I'd like to work out.

I have used "water polishing pads" in my tanks before. It is just a superfine material that catches dust and even the smallest pieces of detritus. You can get the material a lot cheaper at a crafts store. I paid $3 for about 6ft by 3 ft section. It works well, but has to be squeezed out at least once a week. If you do not it will start to fall apart.

Ohh makes sense! Thanks! I certainly won't be buying any new ones, but might as well use the ones I have for the moment.

Most reactions

Back