Help! I Think My Girl Is Sick...

fishlette

Fish Addict
Reaction score
ive just noticed one of my girls is looking really big in the belly. at first i thought she might be eggbound but then i noticed her scales sticking out a bit. she was fine this morning. tested my water and it is ammonia 0ppm, nitrites 0ppm, nitrates 5.0ppm and ph is 7.2. water temp 26.5C. she is in a 165L tank running a aqua one cf700/700lph canister filter and a aqua one internal power filter 101F/500lph. food in the last week: tropical flakes, frozen foods (bloodworm, brine shrimp, plankton and community dinners), veggie flakes, betta bio gold and shrimp pellets. this is her usual mix up of foods (obviously not all at the same time :)) she seems kind of ok. she ate when there was food in the tank. she was swimming up for air and still swimming ok its more just the belly and the scales that give away anything. i have moved her out now into a 3g tank. if it is dropsy what should i do? if its not that what is it and what can i do? treatments i have handy until i can get something else at work tomorrow are: science products multi purpose treatment, melafix and salt. i think ive told you everything now...i hope :)

bettagirl017.jpg

bettagirl010.jpg

bettagirl013.jpg

I am far from being a "pro", but I have several girls, and yours looks eggbound especially since her white thingy (??) is very noticeable. I could be wrong, so if I am I am sure someone else will give you the right answer.

If its dropsy...
http://www.healthybetta.com/articles/Illne...sis/dropsy.html

Also maybe constipation. How much do you feed her? A couple pellets is really all she needs. I would feed her peas. itll help if its constipation. Boil the pea, skin it, then break of a small piece and roll it into a ball so it looks like one of her pellets.

Im dieting my girls now becuase theyre a bit too fat. They eat not only their food but love the pellets I give my corys, so theyre fat little pigs right now.

I had to ask the same question last night...so here is what I have learned.

If this is a sudden swelling of the fish, and the scales have begun to resemble a "pine cone", and possibly if the fishes eyes are bulging from its head along with red patches of ulcerated skin then it is more than likely dropsy.

You can treat this successfully if you remove her from all other fish now (it can be contageous), and treat using anti-bacterial meds. If its a more serious form of dropsy and has gradually occured try treating with anti-bacterial medicines and if this doesn't help then it could possibly be the virus enduced form. This is very contageous (or so my book says!!) and the fish should be destroyed in a humane fashion.

Of course, protect yourself as since all causes of dropsy have not yet been identified its better if you distance your own contact with the fish in case you get infected in any way. :blink:

Hi

I have 9 females with my male at all times. They ALWAYS look like your girl; full of eggs with the ovipositor protuding (white thing), due to the rich 'conditioning for spawning' diet they are always on. A female producing loads of eggs reflects a really good rich diet and general good health. HOWEVER, such females can become eggbound, the general symptoms of which are lethargy (resting on bottom) and lack of appetite. If your girl is not showing these symptoms she is probably just like my ones have been for two years straight (except when spawned) - full of eggs. If scales are protuding (pine-cone appearance from above) then it could be dropsy. Dropsy is usually caused by very poor water conditions. Supposedly this can be quite fatal if not treated early, you may find medication products for it, but epsom salts work quite well (by reducing the fluids compressing the organs, and inducing toilet action!) A quick search online should reveal the right dosage.
If she is just swelling up with eggs due to her good diet I wouldnt worry about it, mine have been like that for a long time with no problems.
LEE

If she looks like a pinecone from above its dropsy, which is rarely cureable. She is eggy but that doesnt usually cause pineconing

i personally think its just eggs thats causing this....

but to be safe you should monitor:

a) her eating - whether she eats and looks like shes enjoying the food (prefereably live bloodworms)
B) her tail/fins - whether or not they ever clamp up (this is a great indication if your betta is feeling a bit blue or not)
c) activeness - whether it just goes to the corner and stays at the surface or whether it goes under a filter or plant and doesnt move much is also a great indicator of how your fish is feeling.

if she eats without a fuss and she swims around often like she does in the photo i wouldnt worry too much

good luck :good:

If its dropsy...
http://www.healthybetta.com/articles/Illne...sis/dropsy.html

Also maybe constipation. How much do you feed her? A couple pellets is really all she needs. I would feed her peas. itll help if its constipation. Boil the pea, skin it, then break of a small piece and roll it into a ball so it looks like one of her pellets.

Im dieting my girls now becuase theyre a bit too fat. They eat not only their food but love the pellets I give my corys, so theyre fat little pigs right now.

she lives in my community tank so its hard to monitor her eating. shes never been one of the greedy gutses like the other though. have been meaning to get peas for ages (i hate peas and my hubby is not a fan so i dont buy them).

id rather it that she were fat than sick. they are all pretty well fed...

Hi

I have 9 females with my male at all times. They ALWAYS look like your girl; full of eggs with the ovipositor protuding (white thing), due to the rich 'conditioning for spawning' diet they are always on. A female producing loads of eggs reflects a really good rich diet and general good health. HOWEVER, such females can become eggbound, the general symptoms of which are lethargy (resting on bottom) and lack of appetite. If your girl is not showing these symptoms she is probably just like my ones have been for two years straight (except when spawned) - full of eggs. If scales are protuding (pine-cone appearance from above) then it could be dropsy. Dropsy is usually caused by very poor water conditions. Supposedly this can be quite fatal if not treated early, you may find medication products for it, but epsom salts work quite well (by reducing the fluids compressing the organs, and inducing toilet action!) A quick search online should reveal the right dosage.
If she is just swelling up with eggs due to her good diet I wouldnt worry about it, mine have been like that for a long time with no problems.
LEE

but my water is good and pretty stable :huh: could she have had it for a while? i have only had her a week or so

i hope i havent got all paranoid and theyre just eggs lol how silly would i feel :)

i personally think its just eggs thats causing this....

but to be safe you should monitor:

a) her eating - whether she eats and looks like shes enjoying the food (prefereably live bloodworms)
cool.gif her tail/fins - whether or not they ever clamp up (this is a great indication if your betta is feeling a bit blue or not)
c) activeness - whether it just goes to the corner and stays at the surface or whether it goes under a filter or plant and doesnt move much is also a great indicator of how your fish is feeling.

if she eats without a fuss and she swims around often like she does in the photo i wouldnt worry too much

good luck good.gif

she does still eat. none of her fins are clamped and she is less active than normal but that could be because she is in a 3g after living in a 45g.

thank you guys has been a big help

You said you noticed her scales sticking out, correct?

There are 2 types of "dropsy" the first is cause by a bacterical infection and is usually treatable with bacterial meds and epsom salt baths. The second type is caused by kidney failure and is 100% fatal.

You've seperated her, correct? Keep her out of the view of males, and fast her for a few days and then feed her a cooked shelled pea and see if that does any good.

Most reactions

Back