Help I need another!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It's not just kids that do that. Teenagers and adults do it too. They get all fascinated by something new and try it out, then after the novelty wears off, they let it slide.
Sad but true. Folks get into the hobby not understanding the on-going maintenance required to keep a clean, healthy tank. If they don't kill fish right away, it's just a matter of time. Few if any water changes, algae takes over, fish suffer and die, tanks end up in basements and garages and eventally in a garage sale or on craigs list. It's the sad evolution of too many armchair, unenthusiastic hobbyists.

You could say that you are trying to help them. Say it would be very educational for them and that you could teach them a lot.

Sad but true. Folks get into the hobby not understanding the on-going maintenance required to keep a clean, healthy tank. If they don't kill fish right away, it's just a matter of time. Few if any water changes, algae takes over, fish suffer and die, tanks end up in basements and garages and eventally in a garage sale or on craigs list. It's the sad evolution of too many armchair, unenthusiastic hobbyists.
I totally agree. I was reading reviews on a fish tank and someone gave it 1 star, saying that it's only interesting for a day or two and then it's just a high maintenance lamp lol. So sad that fish are going to these people

No need to downplay newbies to the hobby @AbbeysDad. I’m sure when you got your first fish, you didn’t do so hot either.

We exist on this forum to help the less knowledgeable, not to make fun of them.

I do not think he was downplaying newbies. I think he was pointing out the people who get it without caring about the long term effects on their routine. The people who just get them to have something "cool". The people who keep fish "just for fun, I dont actually care about the fish because it's just for fun"

No need to downplay newbies to the hobby @AbbeysDad. I’m sure when you got your first fish, you didn’t do so hot either.

We exist on this forum to help the less knowledgeable, not to make fun of them.
You really don't need the attitude and the disrespect. I wasn't making fun of anyone, merely stating what sadly happens with many that step into the hobby without understanding and knowledge and choose not to learn. Those folks aren't on this, or any other fish related forum!

Okay so today while I was sorting my gravel my little brothers (both 8) came and told me they wanted a tank... I was thinking YES more tanks! They both have $60 of Christmas money left over and told my dad that they wanted a fish tank and would pay for it themselves. He said NO!! I am sad because even though I would technically be theirs I would "steal" it. I would be doing maintenance etc so it would kinda be mine.
I have the gravel and plants needed so all they would need is the tank w/ filter, heater and lid and we would be set.

How do we convince my grumpy father to let them buy a tank?
i guess i would buy the tank as a future Christmas present. or maybe tell the dad it could be a good idea since we are all staying home. good luck.

Well, looks like I get to give my 10 gallon to them since "i was never supposed to have it in the first place" and "I took over the tank"

Most reactions

Back