The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JuiceBox52

Passionate about fish and their care
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Okay so today while I was sorting my gravel my little brothers (both 8) came and told me they wanted a tank... I was thinking YES more tanks! They both have $60 of Christmas money left over and told my dad that they wanted a fish tank and would pay for it themselves. He said NO!! I am sad because even though I would technically be theirs I would "steal" it. I would be doing maintenance etc so it would kinda be mine.
I have the gravel and plants needed so all they would need is the tank w/ filter, heater and lid and we would be set.

How do we convince my grumpy father to let them buy a tank?

How do we convince my grumpy father to let them buy a tank?
My opinion on this...well, I wouldn't try to convince him.

My reasoning. Well, they're eight. They cant take care of a tank, which is probably why this is good news for you. In my opinion, obviously they will forget about it. After this, you'll take over and it'll become your tank and then possibly your parents will get suspicious, wondering why you're taking care of their tank. It'll eventually possibly get your siblings in consequences (the you wanted it, but why aren't you taking care of it conversation) and possibly damage any chances of them getting a pet when they actually are able to take care of one.

This is just my two cents, though.

Tell Dad you can get a 10 gallon tank for your brother with filter, light and hood for only $33 delivered to your door from Walmart. The you just need a small heater and a few fish. If you have an end table or a dresser, it would be fine there so no need for a stand.

My opinion on this...well, I wouldn't try to convince him.

My reasoning. Well, they're eight. They cant take care of a tank, which is probably why this is good news for you. In my opinion, obviously they will forget about it. After this, you'll take over and it'll become your tank and then possibly your parents will get suspicious, wondering why you're taking care of their tank. It'll eventually possibly get your siblings in consequences (the you wanted it, but why aren't you taking care of it conversation) and possibly damage any chances of them getting a pet when they actually are able to take care of one.

This is just my two cents, though.
It has always (in my family at least) been the expectation that I take care of all the fish lol. My mom has a betta tank and my brothers did for awhile as well. It has been my job since I was 13. That is a valid point though :)

My reasoning. Well, they're eight. They cant take care of a tank, which is probably why this is good news for you. In my opinion, obviously they will forget about it.
I had fish when I was 8 and I looked after them. I also had a number of friends that kept fish at that age.

One of my friend's kids was 5 and could cook scrambled eggs and toast, knew how to use the washing machine, vaccum the house and did water changes on his mum's tanks. He was well trained. :)

I have taught some pretty stupid adults how to keep fish over the years, so there's no reason an average 8 year old monkey can't do it. Yes I'm referring to Juicebox's brothers as being monkeys :)

----------------
Tell your dad your brothers are contemplating getting pet spiders instead of fish. He might prefer fish :)

I had fish when I was 8 and I looked after them. I also had a number of friends that kept fish at that age.

One of my friend's kids was 5 and could cook scrambled eggs and toast, knew how to use the washing machine, vaccum the house and did water changes on his mum's tanks. He was well trained. :)

I have taught some pretty stupid adults how to keep fish over the years, so there's no reason an average 8 year old monkey can't do it. Yes I'm referring to Juicebox's brothers as being monkeys :)

----------------
Tell your dad your brothers are contemplating getting pet spiders instead of fish. He might prefer fish :)
Oh I totally agree they are monkeys. They need to be in a zoo they're so wild. He might prefer spiders because no water bill and tarantulas actually take less space than a 20g

maybe see if your brother wants a reptile or a turtle instead of fish..they are easier to care for..but you still would need a tank or other habitat and a basking lamp which would add to the electric bill

That's a good thing (I could also make eggs and toast at 5, but irrelevant :p). But normally it seems that most children at younger ages will get a pet, be fascinated for 2 weeks, and then forget and not care about them, leaving someone else to take care of them. It totally makes sense that you (when you were young) and other children can take care of fish and do other things, but the majority of children aren't like that.

It's not just kids that do that. Teenagers and adults do it too. They get all fascinated by something new and try it out, then after the novelty wears off, they let it slide.

It's not just kids that do that. Teenagers and adults do it too. They get all fascinated by something new and try it out, then after the novelty wears off, they let it slide.
Yes, it's true that anyone does that. I think its human nature or something (not sure). But with anyone, especially with pets, it could damage their future chances of getting another pet or the trust their partner/parent/guardian has in them.

Kids just see one part of a picture, whereas an adult sees the larger picture and may not be willing going by a past experience. I can only say, going from experience that a parents wishes must be adhered too, even if a kid thinks it's wrong. I was told I could do what I wanted when I pay the bills so I understood. There will be plenty of time to get what they need or want when the parent is not involved.

maybe see if your brother wants a reptile or a turtle instead of fish..they are easier to care for..but you still would need a tank or other habitat and a basking lamp which would add to the electric bill
We used to have a beardie. They are more expensive to feed

I asked my dad why he said no. He said because I have too many tanks. I only have 2 and one is in my room

However you do it, make sure you do it politely, privately, and respectfully.

Maybe you could offer to do more work around the house?

I asked my dad why he said no. He said because I have too many tanks. I only have 2 and one is in my room
You can politely point this out to him. Make up a list of questions and answers.

Some kids these days think that everything is theirs and it’s “their right”. It is not. If your dad still isn’t willing to let you have another tank, you can’t change his mind. Ask him again later on.

However you do it, make sure you do it politely, privately, and respectfully.

Maybe you could offer to do more work around the house?

You can politely point this out to him. Make up a list of questions and answers.

Some kids these days think that everything is theirs and it’s “their right”. It is not. If your dad still isn’t willing to let you have another tank, you can’t change his mind. Ask him again later on.
Yup :) I pointed it out to him, and he agreed. The thing with him is that hes totally for something and then the next day totally against. When I got my 55 I put the 10 away for awhile and then got it out and he was fine. Today he told me that the twins cant have a tank because I "took over" the ten gallon.
??? How in the world do I take over a tank that was already my own?

But yes I do understand (and so do they) thay a no is generally a no unless it is totally unreasonable. I understand his point of view, but also its not reasonable for him to say they can't because I "took over" my own tank

Most reactions

Back