Help! Goldfish covered in White Film -Solved

WindDrinker

Reaction score
Alright, everyone. So I got a bigger tank for my goldfish, let it cycle, but obviously did something wrong. I moved my goldfish into the bigger tank and woke up this morning to them covered in white mucus, fins clamped, and they're all just lethargic.

What do I do? I love these guys and have had them for 3 or more years. They're easily the size of my hand now.

Have I killed them?

I tested the water before putting them in and found nothing harmful. I'm testing again this morning.

First off can you confirm your actual water chemistry results and aquarium size please and also a photo of the fish would be handy.

It's a 40 gallon tank. 0 Nitrites, 0 Nitrates, ph 8 (always has been for them), very hard water(always has been for them), Chlorine 0, ammonia 0. I'm down to two goldfish. The others have all succumbed in less than 12 hours. I've added extra airstones, some aquarium salt, and Microbe-Lift. I've literally spent all morning trying to save them. I've never had this happen before and am at a loss. My other fish seem fine in their tanks. Just the new tank that I let cycle and then moved the goldfish to.
The plan was to wait until they got even bigger and then move then to the aboveground goldfish pond. Guess that won't be happening now. 😕

Attachments

• 20220307_090617.jpg
    20220307_090617.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 20220307_084334.jpg
    20220307_084334.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 20220307_084321.jpg
    20220307_084321.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 111
How long did you cycle the new aquarium for and how did you cycle it?

They literally all died within hours of this post. I've never seen fish die so quickly. I'm devastated. All my other fish are fine including the Betta fish that lived in that tank. I'm going to treat the tank for 10 days, do another huge water change and then just let it cycle for a few more weeks before I move anyone else into it. I can't even believe it.

Last edited:
Mixing Betta with Goldies is not a good idea

Goldies are coldwater fish, the Betta is a very warm water fish to start with.....so that probably exacerbated the issues with the Goldies. The pH is too high for a Betta aswell.

There is a bacteria that was somehow introduced into the tank. It's only killing the goldfish. Sending out a water sample for analysis as all the parameters are fine. Plenty of people keep goldfish in warm waters. Many of the Fancy varieties actually prefer it. I keep my tank around 75. I have my local aquatics store to thank for helping me. My betta fish have always lived to 5 or 6 years of age. The goldfish who died were between 4 and 5 years of age and I'd had them for 4 to 5 years. Got them as Itty bitty babies.

pH is too high for freshwater fish, needs to be around seven
I dislike it when people say this. For your information, there are a LOT of fish that like less-acidic water. 7 is ‘neutral’ PH. Rift lake cichlids, freshwater puffers, blind cave tetras, and livebearers are all found in hard water.

Many different fish such as barbs, rasboras, rainbow fish, and angelfish are tolerant to low and high PH.

However, you can lower your PH by using RO water, adding tannins, or using peat moss.

Most reactions

Back