HELP Fluval Kit Light Capability Question

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nells250

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
HI all

I bit the bullet and picked up a Fluval Ebi Shrimp tank/kit.

Long story short, I need to know what the included light is capable of. It can't be dimmed, so I am stuck with ON/OFF (and blue).

According to the info PDF on their website, the specs are:

Font Rectangle Number Screenshot

The tank is 2.6 gallons and 12" deep.

So should I plan for LOW/MED plants or can this light handle HIGH light plants as well? All those numbers befuddle me. I MAY be able to get my simple Stingray to attach to the tank for LOW/MED plants. But the setup won't look nearly as slick!

(WEBSITE PHOTO)

Rectangle Automotive lighting Electric blue Electronic device Gadget

NOTICE there are no RED LEDs

This looks better than most light that comes with the typical kit. The one that comes with their betta kit is not good for plants, so I replaced it with a Nicrew Clip on Aquarium Light N20531 found on amazon.

It has timer, dimmer, ramp in and out, separate control for (white/Red) and (blue) intensity, 2 modes. Very bright and simple to use. I run it at 50% and the java fern seem to like it a lot.

The only draw back is the clip has to be modified because the separator in the filter chamber that divides the pump from the media is in the way of the clip to seat properly. That is a problem Nicrew should consider to address because their products target replacing light on a lot of similar products. Besides that, the light is solid and works great.

Give a try to the one provided... Personally 7000K is too much blue for me. And the lack of dimming capability can be problematic in a planted tank.

Sounds like it could be bright enough for higher need plants then? I did read that this kit does indeed come with a brighter light than the betta version. That's why I need to know its capability before adding plants. I just don't want to kill off what I move into it.

Most reactions

Back