HELP Fluval Kit Light Capability Question

Nells2502

Fish Crazy
Joined
Nov 20, 2023
Messages
260
Reaction score
232
Points
43
Location
New England
HI all

I bit the bullet and picked up a Fluval Ebi Shrimp tank/kit.

Long story short, I need to know what the included light is capable of. It can't be dimmed, so I am stuck with ON/OFF (and blue).

According to the info PDF on their website, the specs are:

Font Rectangle Number Screenshot



The tank is 2.6 gallons and 12" deep.

So should I plan for LOW/MED plants or can this light handle HIGH light plants as well? All those numbers befuddle me. I MAY be able to get my simple Stingray to attach to the tank for LOW/MED plants. But the setup won't look nearly as slick!

(WEBSITE PHOTO)

Rectangle Automotive lighting Electric blue Electronic device Gadget



NOTICE there are no RED LEDs
 
This looks better than most light that comes with the typical kit. The one that comes with their betta kit is not good for plants, so I replaced it with a Nicrew Clip on Aquarium Light N20531 found on amazon.

It has timer, dimmer, ramp in and out, separate control for (white/Red) and (blue) intensity, 2 modes. Very bright and simple to use. I run it at 50% and the java fern seem to like it a lot.

The only draw back is the clip has to be modified because the separator in the filter chamber that divides the pump from the media is in the way of the clip to seat properly. That is a problem Nicrew should consider to address because their products target replacing light on a lot of similar products. Besides that, the light is solid and works great.

Give a try to the one provided... Personally 7000K is too much blue for me. And the lack of dimming capability can be problematic in a planted tank.
 
I would agree 7000k is not ideal for plants. You want 6500k.
Give it a try. If it doesn't work well, get a Nicrew one from amazon.
 
Sounds like it could be bright enough for higher need plants then? I did read that this kit does indeed come with a brighter light than the betta version. That's why I need to know its capability before adding plants. I just don't want to kill off what I move into it.
 
Wellp, in the end, I decided to go LOW LIGHT with this tank. I simply did NOT like that kit light. Too blue for me, and just too bright. Shame, because it is rather nice. Maybe if it had some red LEDs along with the white and blue...

Maybe I'll try to sell the light to recoup some of the kit's costs ;)
 
The good news is your Ebi light is actually pretty capable. At 6.4W over 10L, you're sitting in the medium-light sweet spot—that math works out to 0.64 watts per liter, which hits solidly into medium range and can even stretch into easier high-light territory. You can definitely grow most popular stem plants, carpets, and foreground stuff without any upgrades. The real limitation is that 7000K spectrum you noticed (no red LEDs). It's perfect for the plants to photosynthesize, but it won't push red colors the way a warmer light would. So stick with the integrated setup for the look, plan for medium plants, and only grab the Stingray if you fall in love with a specific high-demand red species down the road.
 
The good news is your Ebi light is actually pretty capable. At 6.4W over 10L, you're sitting in the medium-light sweet spot—that math works out to 0.64 watts per liter, which hits solidly into medium range and can even stretch into easier high-light territory. You can definitely grow most popular stem plants, carpets, and foreground stuff without any upgrades. The real limitation is that 7000K spectrum you noticed (no red LEDs). It's perfect for the plants to photosynthesize, but it won't push red colors the way a warmer light would. So stick with the integrated setup for the look, plan for medium plants, and only grab the Stingray if you fall in love with a specific high-demand red species down the road.
What do you stand to gain from posting AI generated content on the internet?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top