Help Find Variations Of Bettas In South Africa

Deagan182betta

Reaction score
:angry: iv startd kpn fish again after a while... I hav a betta colbalt blue fins nd dark blue in colour has normal fins lng sweeping 1s. Nd iv seen on da net sum really beautiful 1s thats tails luks lyk spikes. Bt i luv my betta dnt get me wrng it would b nyc 2 see wot else ther is 2 offer. My betta cost me ZAR20 which is roughly US$3. Anyway any help wud do hw 2 find variations in south africa

Sorry, i cant read anything that your saying..try typing correctly.

Well if you cant understand Zafirah, what hope have us oldies got :crazy: :crazy:

welcome to the forem , and its a little hard to understand you but english isnt everyone first language so we all try our best. the spicky tail ones are called crown tails or ct's and the long tail one are called veiltails or vt's. i live in usa so i dont know where in africa to go. but if you have internet access you could go to aqua bid, its a place online , a big auction where you can bid on fish and buy them, but always pay by paypal, just be careful, its the internet and don trust anybody with your personal acct numbers and all that stuff. and use a transshipper,, its only legal to ''mail'' a fish across to a different country by using a transshipper,a person with the legal authority to ship animals, it could get expensive.around $10.00 usa dollars and at least $30.00 to ship maby more. so no pets shops near you?

welcome to the forums.

you're going to find that people will just ignore you if you try to type like a degenerate 10yo. just type normally so ppl don't have to spend a minute or two trying to decipher your contractions.

cuz wn u typ lyk ths ppl hv to spnd lyk 30mins ta reed wht u wrt yo.

azul answered ur question pretty well. i have no idea where to find different tail variations in S. Africa. :blink: Good luck!

Sorry about that. Im so use to typing shorthand on forums. Pet shops in SA dnt hav variety only veil tails. I hav a slight problem when i got hme yesterday 4rm work i noticed dat Ichigo's (my betta) tail looked like it was splitting but his fins luk longer nd i cnt get a pic of him as he faces the camera and you really cant see his tail. Sorry if there is shorthand in this post any help would be appreciated

he might have caught it on a sharp plant or maby a decoration in the tank>? or maby he blew it out while flaring too much? ,, hetting all hyped up looking at other males makes the dance atound alot and he can tear up his fins from toomuch exertion,, like an althleetapulling somthin i guess lol! but not all male get upset about seeing another f=male,, and and somee just do it all by their lonesome. anyway, keep his tank watter very clean and do water changes every few days ,, anomina and nithartes in the tank can cause fins to get bad, if anything in the tank is rough enough to snag a pair of pantyhose when you rub it against it the it will probally do the same to the bettas fins.

Thnx. I think he did blow it out coz i had a small mirror next 2 the tank. Bt im goin 2 do a water change wen i get home from work later. And another thing he has habit of eatin and spittin out the flakes then goes to the bottom of the tank nd scratching in the gravel nd eating. Is that weird? Nd what should i b feeding him if not tropical fish food flakes. Nd would i need medication to treat the tail issue?

Try to find specialized betta food for him. I use Hikari betta pellets, and TetraBetta flake, no sure if they are available where you live but there is always ebay! Also, bloodworms go down a treat - but just a few at a time, and not all the time!

Thnx. Just did the 100% water change took the gravel out it was a mess. Wen i got hme from work the water was cloudy nd ichigo was hiding behind the heater and his colour was dull. Is 78deg f fine 4 him or should i raise the temp?

78 is fine. Keeping the water any warmer will just boost his metabolism and he'll make more waste. Anywhere between 76-82 is perfectly fine.

Make sure to keep up on those water changes. the water should not be getting even close to murky by the time you decide to do a water change.

edit:
What size tank do you have him in?

Wel its a small tank til i get a bigger 1 that i can fill with plants nd ornaments .it holds 5litres of water im not sure how many litres to a gallon. Im thinkn of getting a 30cm tank for Ichigo nd another tank as a community pref a hex tank as space is limited. Im gna do water changes every 2/3 days because it was 5days wen the water became mucky...thnx any suggestions 4 a bottom feeder mayb a pepperd catfish?

Big update!!
Got some tetra medica general tonic 4 my betta to repair the tail problem. Bt he is swimmin around nd then goes and lays behind the heater the medicine is already in the tank. The tank is bare after the murky nd tail splitn. Bt his fins look longer im confused about this? Nd is his behaviour normal?

Big update!!
Got some tetra medica general tonic 4 my betta to repair the tail problem. Bt he is swimmin around nd then goes and lays behind the heater the medicine is already in the tank. The tank is bare after the murky nd tail splitn. Bt his fins look longer im confused about this? Nd is his behaviour normal?

Deagan, Deagan.... Eish!!!... you're talking in riddles with your shorthand..... As a fellow South African (only the 2 of us (and "Vis" from Potchefstroom) on this forum).... I Think I'll understand more exactly what you want if we speak Zulu....... "Inni wena funna????...... The way I understand it, you are looking for varieties of Betta species in South Africa.... Well.... I have all the commons, and that is pretty much what we are exposed to..... Makes you feel like such an amateur when you move onto a forum such as this..... Does'nt it???

I'm from Thabazimbi (Limpopo Province).... Pleased to meet you!!

Most reactions

Back