Help! False Julii Cory has scratches

Neonlights

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Two days ago when I was doing some tank maintenance my cory began shooting all over the tank like mad. Yesterday I noticed he was slightly off balance and he looks the same today so I looked more closely and can see two small vertical scratches on one side that are bright red.

I’ve just put in my last 5ml of stressguard (apparently they stopped selling it in the UK) and unfortunately I’ll now be away for 4 days (!). Is there anything I should do or can do to help him heal?

First I would check and see what he could have cut himself on. Do a water change as well before you go.

Second add some Indian almond leaves for the tannins. He will respond best to that for a holistic treatment. It's both antifungal and antibacterial. Remove carbon from your filter if you have it. If that doesn't work and he gets worse, then you may have to resort to medication to treat any infection. But natural methods are better to try first.

Sometimes all wounds need are clean water and a little bit of tannins or salt. Given he is a corydoras from a habitat that's softwater and often stained with tannins naturally, he will benefit more from this over the option of salt, which salt isnt great with corydoras.

First I would check and see what he could have cut himself on. Do a water change as well before you go.

Second add some Indian almond leaves for the tannins. He will respond best to that for a holistic treatment. It's both antifungal and antibacterial. Remove carbon from your filter if you have it. If that doesn't work and he gets worse, then you may have to resort to medication to treat any infection. But natural methods are better to try first.

Sometimes all wounds need are clean water and a little bit of tannins or salt. Given he is a corydoras from a habitat that's softwater and often stained with tannins naturally, he will benefit more from this over the option of salt, which salt isnt great with corydoras.

Thanks for the advice! Luckily I did a clean today and a 40-50% water change.

I think he must have scratched himself on some small rocks on the bottom as there’s nothing else remotely sharpe in there. I’ll remove the couple that are in the tank in case.

I don’t have carbon in my filter, just pads but I don’t have Indian almond leaves and no idea where I’d buy them. I also have an early flight so no opportunity to pick anything up. Hopefully 4 days of no one around to spook him and the water change will be enough to help. If not, I guess I’ll have to go the medicine route next week but that’s problematic as I don’t have a quarantine tank and I have shrimp in my aquarium.

It really depends on the depth of the wound.

Only you, really knows the "thickness" of your water.

The appropriate thing you can do range from a water change to a light remedy like melafix. Or a lot more resolved resolutions.

Even nothing you can do could make it... It really depends only how bad the fish was crushed upon incident.

I try to move... Nothing. And as soon there's weird reactions. I quit doing on the spot.

Next steps are to try again and quit ASAP... And again... Until resolution comes.

But there is no guaranty of anything. I had lots of Gouramies. Some where racing to the food off my hand and other would jump out the tank as soon as my hand touch the water.

In the same tank.

Most reactions

Back