Help...Clown Loach developed white spots

mpd

Reaction score
Yesterday i just noticed that 1 of my clown loaches has developed a few small dots on its tail and body, around 5 dots in total. Is this ich and how successfully can ick be treated? It is in my tank with goldfish, platties and bristlenose. Can i treat all of them together?

Clown Loaches are really susceptible to ich it seems.

Youve got quite a mix of fish. Could you tell us the set up you have regarding tank size,types of fish and what is the heater set at?
The normal course of action is to raise the temp up to 80f, add half dose protozin and plenty of extra aeration.
You will need to treat all the fish together.

I have a 55g tank, my temp is around 70 degrees, my tank is unheated, running U/gravel filter and hang on filter, is this bad? Can i treat w/out raising temp?

Its no wonder the loaches are sick. The temperature is way too low for them as they are tropical fish as are the platties. The bristlenose will be fine at that temperature.
If you can, take the goldfish out and put into a holding tub or something similar thats around 20 - 3- gallons and add a filter and keep an eye out for any scratching or spots..
You will need to raise the temperature slowly to 80f in the main tank to quicken the lifecycle and then add the meds.
Please be aware that you shouldnt mix tropicals with the goldfish as they need different temperatures.

Just to add as well, when you add the meds take out the carbon in any filters and keep the tank lights off.

you definetly need to raise that temp. we have four loaches and the temperature is at about 78 degrees. when we first got our tank we had guppys and smaller fish, with two goldfish, we eventually moved the goldfish because, they are coldwater fish, and the rest of our fish are tropicals, but also the goldfish were eating all the food, and the other fish didn't seem to be growing too much! besides goldfish look better in thier own tank anyways!

when we had white spot, our temp was set to 86 degrees!!

good luck!

Good advice :)

kat and james said:
you definetly need to raise that temp. we have four loaches and the temperature is at about 78 degrees. when we first got our tank we had guppys and smaller fish, with two goldfish, we eventually moved the goldfish because, they are coldwater fish, and the rest of our fish are tropicals, but also the goldfish were eating all the food, and the other fish didn't seem to be growing too much! besides goldfish look better in thier own tank anyways!

when we had white spot, our temp was set to 86 degrees!!

good luck!
[snapback]920503[/snapback]​

thanx for the advice. Should i treat all at once and can goldfish tolerate high temp? or should i move goldfish and just treat clowns? will bristlenose be okay with meds?

i will try to purchase heater, to keep clown loaches

the goldfish being in a higher temperature isn't ideal, but they can tolerate it.
you will need to treat the goldfish also though, the spots on the fish isn't all there is to this disease, for every one spot there are thousands of invisible white spots in the water (which you can't see) therefore the goldfish will have been exposed to it also!
you could remove the goldfish from the main tank, and put them in their own tank, and treat them there too, at a temperature that is more suited to them. this way you can keep the clown loach at a higher temperature, which will increase the life cycle of the ich, which will mean that they will get rid of it faster.

Most reactions

Back