Help! Bettas Full Nest In Ruin - With Eggs

andypandy

Reaction score
hi, new to the forum, please can you tell me if i can do anything???

bettas breeding went great - virtually no aggressiveness towards female and shes out safe in another tank.

Water level with tank with betta and babies is 7", but his eggs are completely falling out.

I know this is supposed to happen to some extent but not this much!

female ruined his nest and he didnt have time to rebuild before they spawned so his nest is about 2cm x a bubbles depth and is failing to hold more than 10 eggs out of about a hundred. Many are on the floor - approx 50, while males attempts to rescue them are failing as he blows them into the nest, only for more to fall out than before because of his blowing. many eggs are also floating around beside the nest but not in it.

Will any of these eggs survive and/or the dad??? hes too busy catching fallen eggs to rebuild, as he destroys his own further and further.

Also do i leave the light on overnight so he can see them?

thanks

Wu ohh! Well, every time he spits eggs back into the nest, he's adding a little saliva and bubbles, so there is still a chance that he will get the nest back in shape. But there isn't anything you can do, I'm sorry. Just keep an eye on him hopefully he will get it bak in control. It'll be good excersize for him. He seems like a good father, so hopefully he wont eat what eggs he is able to keep in the nest.

And yes, do leave the light on over night so that he can see what he's doing. He's a fish, not a cat with night goggles, lol! Good luck with your male and his nest. I hope he can keep up, but give him a brake. He's the father of hundreds of kids and mom went off to a spa; you'd be streessed out too:p

I wonder if you have another male betta with a bubble nest you could try to transfer to give him a head start on the rebuilding?

i think they should have night vision goggles! lol

i don't have another male but i think everythings ok now: he's been busy overnight building a completely new nest in the other corner, leaving the other one behind. he's transferred all the eggs over too and is having a break before the fun begins! the nest is a perfect one now about 2x2".

just one more thing, when the fry can swim properly, do i bring the water level back up and/or turn the filter on?

oh and when theyre 4 months old ish how much do you think i could sell some for in UK? theyre going to be crowntails, mainly red.

Postage for Special Delivery £6-7. I'm not really sure on prices but I wouldn't pay any more than £5 for a CT, considering there are places that do sell them - and they are usually £3-4 when I've seen them in shops. But I'll say £5 because they are younger and definitely breedable if that makes sense.
I'd be interested in a couple of months in a male CT[Just as long as my current VT male has recovered and I can divide his tank].

Postage for Special Delivery £6-7. I'm not really sure on prices but I wouldn't pay any more than £5 for a CT, considering there are places that do sell them - and they are usually £3-4 when I've seen them in shops. But I'll say £5 because they are younger and definitely breedable if that makes sense.
I'd be interested in a couple of months in a male CT[Just as long as my current VT male has recovered and I can divide his tank].

ok cool, should be hatching tonight, let you know on progress! :D

Cool, got pics of the parents?

mummy and daddy - dads pic doesnt do him justice - when fully spread fins he's rlly impressive - the best coloured one out of the 6 males ive kept before

also bear in mind that shes recovering from having the eggs andhe doesnt like me getting anywhere near him for photos with his nests - he uses the new one and the old one now lol

Attachments

• 082507163019.jpg
    082507163019.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 082507163107.jpg
    082507163107.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 84

Most reactions

Back