HELP! Betta skin rot

starzfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I picked up my betta today and put him in my quarantine tank. My LFS owner said its ok to dump the water with fish into storage container and slowly add new water, and that's what I did. (I was super excited and forgot to ask about it here) I ended up adding a little bit of water first and then adding the betta in bag so that there more water depth. A few hours later I found the betta under the filter hiding, and I thought he was dead but I saw his gills moving. It looks like there is skin rot.
Screenshot 2021-05-21 11.40.23 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-05-21 11.42.06 PM.png

its perfect if I need to medicate or do something as he is in quarantine anyways.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
@Utar its difficult to even get the camera to focus, these were the best pictures I got. Btw this is my storage bin container so the box isn't 100% opaque. My profile picture is actually the betta when it was healthy.

And that's a new fish? I'd take him back if that's the condition you bought him in. He's battered

You could try the Aquarium Co Op Quaratine trio of meds for him. In my experience, if you keep a betta in pristine water for a while, they often get better from problems like this.

I've never seen a fish deteriorate to this extreme in a day

My LFS owner said its ok to dump the water with fish into storage container and slowly add new water, and that's what I did.
Did yo use water conditioner prior to adding the water to the beta container? Tap water and water contains free chlorine, and or chloramine to sterilize it. A water conditioner nutralizres these toxins. If you don't treat the water first the fish can deteriorate very quickly.

Did yo use water conditioner prior to adding the water to the beta container? Tap water and water contains free chlorine, and or chloramine to sterilize it. A water conditioner nutralizres these toxins. If you don't treat the water first the fish can deteriorate very quickly.
@StevenF Yes I did. I did not cycle the tank tho because I planned on only having him in there for a couple of weeks while my 5 gal cycles. Its a 15 gal container so I thought that would be better than doing a fish-in cycle in my 5 gal. I planned on watching parameters (test kit arrives tomorrow) and doing frequent water changes.
I know for a fact that he's shocked/stressed.

I'm not sure that he'll make it, he looks dreadful ? 100% water change every day, get some live plants in there with him to help him feel a bit calmer...he shouldn't be in such a sorry state in only a day though, doesn't make sense

So the fish is in an uncycled container instead of its uncycled tank? This is confusing

Have you got a complete water test kit? Can you post water perimeters for your tap water: gh, kh, ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate
If so then there are others here can can better advise you on how to take care of your betta. Hopefully your tap water is compatible with a betta.

If your going to keep him, then he needs clean water and an environment where he feels comfortable. This relieves stress. You need to go ahead and re-home him into his new home. Provide places for him to hide and rest. Fake silk plants work well, with large leaves just under the water surface. There he can rest on the leaves and breath air from the surface without having to swim up for a breath.

Maybe a large ornament that he can swim in and explore. Just make sure that anything you put in his tank doesn't have sharp edges that can cut and rip his long fins.

Clean water is a must to help him heal. In a small tank like a 5 gallon you will have to change at least 60% everyday for awhile. If he doesn't get better then you will have to think of other options. Do not use any of the water from the container, pour it out.

Most reactions

Back