HELP: 7mg/L ammonia reading

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently bought new ammonia strips from terra, however usually I use the API ones. Consistently there has been no large ammonia readings when I used the other test stripes with readings consistently of 0. Today when the new test strips arrived after nkt testing for a week it’s said my ammonia reading are at 6! My nitrites and nitrates from APIs testing are still at 0 so I’m wondering whether this could be faulty test strips. My fish seem completely fine and happy and I’ve done a precautionary 60% water change but it’s panicked me. What are the chances the test stripes are just wrong. Could my filter be broken?

Are you completely out of the old ones? If not, test your Ammonia once more with the old ones. Its a good thing that you did a 60% water change. If your Ammonia is over 0ppm, then it should be very much so lowered now.

I
Are you completely out of the old ones? If not, test your Ammonia once more with the old ones. Its a good thing that you did a 60% water change. If your Ammonia is over 0ppm, then it should be very much so lowered now.
I jus re took a test and it still said 7! My water has a slight green tinge to it, but I assume that’s from algae. My filter spray bar is still workint as normal so I’m so confused as to what’s happened

Very interesting...

Keep doing large water changes (of 60% or more per day) to lower your Ammonia.

Are your fish showing any signs red gills? Or gasping?

N
Very interesting...

Keep doing large water changes (of 60% or more per day) to lower your Ammonia.

Are your fish showing any signs red gills? Or gasping?
not really at all, my corys gills look completely normal, my danio are swimming usually and are active and my pleco seems happy and moving, no gasping for air at surface nothing. The actual scale is also terrible , I can barely tell what it is

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
I would do a 75% water change as it will dilute out more ammonia from the water. Test strips are often inaccurate.

I’ve done another test and now the colour is different, this is so confusing and rubbish

Attachments

• 83766D44-2520-439B-AB97-7019ADC332B4.jpeg
    83766D44-2520-439B-AB97-7019ADC332B4.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 54
The test strips can be very inaccurate. Can you afford the API Master Test Kit?

It is about $30. It is well worth it in the end.

I agree, API Master Test Kit is reeally worth it, but is a bit pricey.. still worth.

The test strips can be very inaccurate. Can you afford the API Master Test Kit?

It is about $30. It is well worth it in the end.
I think I might buy it yes, these test strips seem awful. The only thing that concerns me would be a broken filter, but I’m wondering what the signs of that would be. My nitrites and nitrates are still trace so woukd thwt still occur if I had a broken filter? I’ve only had the filter for 3 months, but the spray bar is still working perfectly and the spong was mucky when cleaning

I think I might buy it yes, these test strips seem awful. The only thing that concerns me would be a broken filter, but I’m wondering what the signs of that would be. My nitrites and nitrates are still trace so woukd thwt still occur if I had a broken filter? I’ve only had the filter for 3 months, but the spray bar is still working perfectly and the spong was mucky when cleaning
You will know if your filter isn't working, if you plug it in and it doesn't cycle water. What kind of filter do you have?

You will know if your filter isn't working, if you plug it in and it doesn't cycle water. What kind of filter do you have?
I’ve got a ciano 80 filter with a spray bar attached. The spray bar is still releasing water at a normal rate and quantity so I presume it is workint?

I’ve got a ciano 80 filter with a spray bar attached. The spray bar is still releasing water at a normal rate and quantity so I presume it is workint?
But is the filter releasing water at the normal rate? (Will you please upload a photo of it?)

Most reactions

Back