Hello!

Joanne28

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here in TFF.
My friend gave me a male blue betta fish for my birthday, his name is Navy At first I didn't plan to have a fish since I live in a dormitory. But I love my little Navy so much, so I joined this forum. :)

Last edited:
Hi! Welcome to the forum! We're happy to have you!
Is that picture your betta? I did the same thing with mine. :) I have a couple of questions about your setup. If you don't mind my asking, how big is your tank? Do you have a filter & heater? Is your tank cycled? Do you have a testing kit?

hi there!

Welcome to the forum - I too have a blue betta - his name is Errol!

Hi! Welcome to the forum! We're happy to have you!
Is that picture your betta? I did the same thing with mine. :) I have a couple of questions about your setup. If you don't mind my asking, how big is your tank? Do you have a filter & heater? Is your tank cycled? Do you have a testing kit?
Thanks!
Well... I never planned to have a betta or any kind of pets in my dormitory though. Navy is my birthday present. And I can't find the size of my aquarium... I'm outside right now and can't take a photo of it. It's around this size (look at the picture below). And I don't use any filter or heater, but I do put a water thermometer inside. When it's getting cold, I wrapped the aquarium with fluffy jacket/ blanket. I do water change every 1 week. And... What is a testing kit? O_O

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
And I can't find the size of my aquarium... I'm outside right now and can't take a photo of it. It's around this size (look at the picture below). And I don't use any filter or heater, but I do put a water thermometer inside. When it's getting cold, I wrapped the aquarium with fluffy jacket/ blanket. I do water change every 1 week. And... What is a testing kit? O_O

I know you posted this awhile ago. Sorry I didn't get back to you, I haven't been on for awhile.

The suggested minimum size for a betta is usually about 5 gallons. Regardless of what you may have been told at the fish store (LFS), there is no maximum size.

What does your thermometer read?
The need for a heater depends on the temperature that your dormitory is kept. If the tank is about 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit, you're within the ideal range. It shouldn't drop below about 74, or go above 80.

For a betta, you really should have a filter. Water changes are great, but the filter is also very important in keeping your tank healthy.

Here's a link to a useful article about cycling your tank:
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488
A testing kit is something that you use to determine your nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, and PH levels. I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480570310&sr=8-1&keywords=AP+testing+kit
We usually recommend the dropper bottle kind because they're more accurate then the strips.

I wish you the best of luck!

Most reactions

Back