Hello

smarch93

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
My names Sarah and I'm new to this community! I also have a pet Russian tortoise named Frankln, who's going to celebrate his 2nd adoption anniversary (aka we call it his 7th birthday) at the end of june.  Franklin and the research I had to do before getting him are the reason I started looking more into aquarium care recently. I'm not new to aquarium keeping and have actually had my 10 gal tank up and running for 3 years now, but I'm recently learning my aquarium keeping has been far under par and will be asking a lot of questions for a little while, while I get my aquarium to where it should be. 

My interest in fish started when I got my first betta, we had had family bettas before but as a junior in high school I went out with a friend and we each went home with a betta fish.  I knew betta care since we had some before, so I got a cracker jar to put him in (about 1/2 gal) and eventually ended up with another, then 2 more and at one time had 7 bettas around my room in jars.  They lived usually around a year and they was short compared to ones the family kept, I knew i'd been less vigilant at cleaning when I started getting more, so as bettas passed I stopped getting new ones.  to where I usually kept around 3-3. 

That year I went to a local fair in the summer, and I won a goldfish there (yeah not smart I know) and on a whim I decided to get a cute little 1 1/2 gallon tank at our walmart.  That choice pretty much saved his life, and after 6 months of keeping him in here (with various tank mates from time to time... yes also not smart!) I got a 10 gal. aquarium for a graduation present.  Set it up plopped him in, happy fish.  I kept him in there for another year before a fungus none of the treatments was curing.  After him I had a few other goldfish but none lasted long and I gave up on them and got a divider and a heater for 2 of my bettas to live in there.  But a few months in one betta passed and then another.  now I have 1 betta in it undivided (I had him in a small 1 gal. tank before when the other 2 were in the big tank).

That tank is now in the process of being planted, all trial and error right now. And i'm planning to get 2 mystery snails and a few ghost shrimp.  But in the process of discussing on the Tortoise Forum i'm a part of I learned I need to test the water, something i'd hardly ever done and previously used strips, I'd decided I really want to have a healthy flourishing aquarium and wanted to carefully look into the specific cares and needs of fish i'd add in.  I was instructed to get the API master freshwater kit, and tested yesterday to the horrible realization my tank is not cycled at all, so I'll go to that forum and check out other answers and ask my own questions, but I need to get a greater understanding and management of the nitrogen cycle so that as of right now is the main reason i'm here. 

Anyways I don't know if you all really want to hear the whole history but it is what it is. 
I'll post pictures later since this computer doesn't have those files.  My current Betta fish Svyatoslav (Borrs) is a beautiful crowntial male, and i'd like to keep him happy and healthy. 

~Sarah

:hi: to the forum, Sarah.

I'm sure the members here will be able to help you with any questions you need answers to
smile.png

welcomeani.gif
to TFF, Sarah! Hope you enjoy it here.

HERE is an article on betta care you might like to read.

Post as many questions as you have, we're all happy to help. Looking forward to seeing pics!
smile.png

Heres a shot of my lil guy Svyatoslav (Boris).

Attachments

• IMG_20140530_171139.jpg
    IMG_20140530_171139.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 92
He looks like a rainbow! :wub:

Very nice Betta smarch. I have a crowntail too. The folks here have given me lots of great advice.

Hey Sarah! 
welcomeani.gif
 to the Forum :) Give us some pics of your tank, I know i'd love to see!

I'll get some pictures of the tank up tonight! :) I'm going to buy some more plants to add and I don't even have the same anything as that one picture has anymore, all sand and all (well working to) real plants, got some driftwood, was going to get shrimp but someone seems to have claimed the shrimp tubes so potentially no shrimp haha.  But if I don't remember to post some tonight someone respond here so it pops up bold in "my content" so i'll remember :p memory sometimes lol

As promised, here's a picture of my set up, and another great one i captured of Svyatoslav that i just had to share!

Attachments

• IMG_20140605_181618.jpg
    IMG_20140605_181618.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20140605_181711.jpg
    IMG_20140605_181711.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 94
Aww cute! luv the beta! Does it have a name?

I like the substrate/sand, soo want to do that one day!

carmstrong said:
Aww cute! luv the beta! Does it have a name?

I like the substrate/sand, soo want to do that one day!
Yup his name is Svyatoslav (or Boris for people who aren't Russian or haven't taken extensive Russian history classes... I'm not the least bit Russian I took the classes ;) )

the sand was REALLY easy, and cheap!! Like the 20 pound bag of desert blend play sand I got at home depot cost me like $6 and I didn't even use all of it! Do it!! I took him out of the 10 gal and put him in a 1 gal, then scooped out all the old gravel keeping the water and all its microorganisms inside, rinsed out the sand with our hose until the water was spilling out generally clear, then poured it in to settle, took about a day to settle to see through the water again, and a few days for the PH to readjust (My water naturally has no buffer though).  its been so worth it to have such a natural nice looking set up, and food doesn't sink into gravel holes to rot.  Only problem I had at first putting him back in was there are some orange stone specks in the sand and they looked like food to him so he kept eating and spitting out sand for the first few days.

Most reactions

Back