Hello

eeeekie

Reaction score
Hello!

Little background on myself and my tank. I'm Ericka and I'm 23. I live in La Mesa, Ca. I started my adventure into the fishtank hobby as a tribute to my sister who died in a car accident 6 months ago. Our room felt really empty after it got cleaned up so I remembered how much she liked the black Mollys so I got a tank. I started off with just 2 Danios for well over 2 months. My tank was quite different than it is now. I couldn't origonally find black gravel (sisters favorite colour) so I got stuck with the ugly blue kind and some fake plants.

I recently bought 2 angel fish and another molly to go along in the tank. I got some black gravel, live plants and a white asian inspired hut for the middle. It's exactly how I pictured it. To my suprise while I was cleaning the old tank and getting ready for the new layout I came across 2 baby danios! I found them right before I syphoned! They lived about 2 days and I haven't seen them since. The fish store told me that would most likely happen. I did experience a loss! The white and black molly died a few weeks ago. I was very sad to find it but the rest of the fish seem to be doing very well and my female zebra danio is pregnant again!

I have a slight problem with green algae. It was bad with the old layout so I did a very through cleaning and it was back a week later. It's so bad that it seems to be growing on the plants. I'm not sure how to get rid of it...Any ideas? :unsure: I've read some of those algae eaters and most say you can't use with live plants so I'm at a loss.

Thanks
Ericka

fish001.jpg

fish003.jpg

fish004.jpg

Hi and :hi: from the UK. What a lovely thought and I am very sorry for your loss :-( Very interesting little set up there but before we go any further be prepared for some advice about those angels. I am no expert but I think they need a deep and matured tank. As for the algae problem, well some grow in low light and others in over light. The green stuff is usually increased my too much light (more than 6-8 hours daily from overhead lighting.) Also, ambient light especially direct sunlight is a big source. Brown stuff, I think is not enough light. There are some pinned posts about algae that someone will no doubt give you.
Algea Eaters or mostly ok with plants......Ottos are a favourate but there are many others. Molly like a brackish water (slightly saline.....salty) so there lays that problem.

One last thing....I am not sure but those varigated (green & whiteish) plant may not be aquatic....do you know the name of them?

Happier days to come, I'm sure believe me.........I was 20 when I lost my brother (he was 14) seems sooooo long ago now.

Hello and :hi: to the forums!! :fish: :fish:

Yeah just a note on your angels, they can get to about 8inches in size. I know I had looked at getting them once too. So i'd be careful as the angel fish may run out of room in your tank.

However Good Luck!! :good:

Hi and :hi: from the UK. What a lovely thought and I am very sorry for your loss :-( Very interesting little set up there but before we go any further be prepared for some advice about those angels. I am no expert but I think they need a deep and matured tank. As for the algae problem, well some grow in low light and others in over light. The green stuff is usually increased my too much light (more than 6-8 hours daily from overhead lighting.) Also, ambient light especially direct sunlight is a big source. Brown stuff, I think is not enough light. There are some pinned posts about algae that someone will no doubt give you.
Algea Eaters or mostly ok with plants......Ottos are a favourate but there are many others. Molly like a brackish water (slightly saline.....salty) so there lays that problem.

One last thing....I am not sure but those varigated (green & whiteish) plant may not be aquatic....do you know the name of them?

Happier days to come, I'm sure believe me.........I was 20 when I lost my brother (he was 14) seems sooooo long ago now.

Boyfriend is from UK! Oh thank you. I plan on getting a bigger tank when I have a little extra money so hopefully they don't grow toooooo much. OH that makes sense! I sometimes forget about the light after a very hard day/night at work and I've been known to leave it on all night long! I need to stop that then! I'll go have a look at the post about algae. Are ottos fish?

I got them at petco in the liveplant tank...I'm not sure of the name.

Oh thank you. Yeah it's been a rough few months to say the least. She actually turned 21 and 5 days later died in a car accident...mind you not caused by her. Most people think oh 21 she musta been drunk or something but no it was her friend driving our car.

Hello and :hi: to the forums!! :fish: :fish:

Yeah just a note on your angels, they can get to about 8inches in size. I know I had looked at getting them once too. So i'd be careful as the angel fish may run out of room in your tank.

However Good Luck!! :good:

Thank you :good:

Yeah I saw one at the local fish store that was HUGE. I do plan on upgrading at somepoint when I have a little extra cash. Thank you though I appreciate the advice!!

I sometimes forget about the light after a very hard day/night at work and I've been known to leave it on all night long! I need to stop that then!
Hello And
welcomeani.gif

Put the light on a timer.

Got to your local home center... Home Depot, Lowes, whatever you have where you live, and get a light timer and set it to come on in the afternoon, and go off at bedtime.

All my tanks are on timers. This is what i have..... Light Timer

Most of them have two on/two off settings. Meaning.. come on/go off.. come on again/go off again.
but you can just eliminate two of the pins so it comes on once at a certain time, then goes off at a certain time.

This is the way mine are, they come on in the afternoon and go off at night. This way the fish have a day night cycle just like we do. :good:

Most reactions

Back