Hello to one and all.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tdc4266

Reaction score
I have recently restarted my fishkeeping hobby.
I actually began over 25 years ago (yes, I know)!

What with the job and having to move house 20 times it was impossible to look after the tank.

So, I am practically a NEWBIE.
Things have moved on somewhat.
My current tank holds 240L, has an external filter and CO2 is available.
The substrate is an aquatic soil.
I have a drop tester and thermometer in the tank (mm where else would it be)!
I have planted up the tank (I will be asking questions about this) and probably much more.
The tank has been running for 1 week
The plan is to introduce the fish in January all being well.
See you in the forum.

Hiya,

Are you growing filter bacteria with bottled ammonia, or just planning on doing a fish-in cycle?

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you know about the Nitrogen Cycle and how to measure the gases, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, if not we can help you with all of this. Just be careful and move slow, because when you try and add fish to early or too many at one time, you will lose fish.

Thanks for the replies.
Just read adding fish food is not the best way to go.
I will change this.

Bottled ammonia?
Can this be any household ammonia?
I imagine there are different strengths?
I have looked at the calculator which will be a help.

Just thought I have added plants to my tank will going the ammonia route do harm to the plants.

Bottled ammonia?
Can this be any household ammonia?
I imagine there are different strengths?
I have looked at the calculator which will be a help.
It has to be pure ammonia.

Many household bottled ammonia products have perfumes and surfactants in them, so you can't use these.

Search Amazon for Dr Tim's Ammonia Chloride. If you were local to me, I have a bottle you could have.

The ammonia should be fine with your plants - I'm sure I've cycled a planted tank with ammonia before. Long time ago now.

How many plants, and what are they?

If you have a lot of fast growing plants, you can do a silent or plant cycle. This relies on the fact that plants take up ammonia as fertiliser and they turn it into protein rather than nitrite or nitrate.
With a silent cycle, the tank is planted, then we wait until the plants are showing signs of active growth. Fish can then be added a few at a time, checking ammonia and nitrite daily for several days afterwards to be on the safe side.

It does rely on the type of plant. Half a dozen java fern/anubias in a tank your size won't be nearly enough. But if there are lots of fast growing plants and floating plants, a silent cycle is an option for you.

I silent cycle all my tanks, anacharis, salvinia, hornwort, moneywort and frogbite are some of the good fast growing floating plants to use.

How many plants, and what are they?

If you have a lot of fast growing plants, you can do a silent or plant cycle. This relies on the fact that plants take up ammonia as fertiliser and they turn it into protein rather than nitrite or nitrate.
With a silent cycle, the tank is planted, then we wait until the plants are showing signs of active growth. Fish can then be added a few at a time, checking ammonia and nitrite daily for several days afterwards to be on the safe side.

It does rely on the type of plant. Half a dozen java fern/anubias in a tank your size won't be nearly enough. But if there are lots of fast growing plants and floating plants, a silent cycle is an option for you.
There are about 30 plants some have been split and put around the tank.
Java moss, water wisteria, anubias and a few others. All seem OK.
The most recent water check gave me these results:
24/12
ammonia 0.25
CO2 6.0
nitrite 0.25- 0.50
nitrate 20.0
temp 25 c
From what I understand these readings seem about average for a new tank.
Any suggestions much appreciated.

Ammonia and nitrite should be zero, even in a new tank. Nitrate ideally should be under 20 but it does depend on the level in your tap water.
Java moss and anubias are slow growing, low light plants which won't do much to remove ammonia. But water wisteria is fast growing and will help. If the others are also fast growing, they too will help.

What type of soil have you used? Some types leach ammonia for several months, and fish can't be put in the tank until it stops leaching.

Most reactions

Back