Hello, Im A Newbie From Lovely Scotland

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wend

Reaction score
Hi all. Im new. Jeepers aquariums seem awfully complicated! This week I made a boob. I trusted 'Pets at Home'. I spent about £100 setting up my new tank for 2 red crabs. 24 hrs later they are dead. Well we live and learn, Im here to learn.

Welcome to the forum :good:

Many have fallen for the same mistakes may I suggest a little reading at the bottom of my post is a link "beginners resource centre" if you read up on the Nitrogen cycle and cycling and that will give you the reasons for your losses

regards onebto

Welcome to the forum :good:

Many have fallen for the same mistakes may I suggest a little reading at the bottom of my post is a link "beginners resource centre" if you read up on the Nitrogen cycle and cycling and that will give you the reasons for your losses

regards onebto

Thank you, sorry if Im a bit lost and typing in the wrong bits (?!) So ironic that for all my research and reading I did not read about cycling, I feel somewhat stupid. Looking forward to picking up some tips and maybe meeting some crab owners?

Hi Wend, the worst thing you could have done would have been to buy some more stock and try again, the best thing you did was find this place :good:.

Welcome

Hello Wend and welcome to the forum.
You are not stupid, like me you are learning. Now that you have joined this forum you will benefit from the friendly advice of the other members which will no doubt make your new hobby more enjoyable.

Good luck, Keith.

Hey Wend,
I'm a fellow newb too.

I've had no problems with pets at home.
Maby you should to one of the people at the shop who knows about the animls? I do that (and did, when I got my new fishys), and so far fingers crossed havent lost my first five in my fish in cycle.

Also the people on here are good to talk to.
They can give you the advice you need.

Also google helps to some point. I google as much as I can, and if any thing don't make sence I ask people. Just up till now I did'nt have this forum.

Hope every thing goes well.

P.S the best way for a fish out sycle I've found without using chemicles is a very small quantity of fish food in the tank once a day till the cycle is finished. May take a while, but it works.
Pets at home should provide you a free water check to make sure all the amonia, nitrate, and the other one nitrote or what ever it's called lol, to make sure it's all gone.
My local one does.

Best to get it checked once a week, while your going through the cycle, after you don't have to. but I always have (I was a cold water fish owner before I turned tropical) and it does'nt hurt. It also picks up on possible problems in your tank.

All the best :)

Most reactions

Back