Hello. I need help with my betta.

You can contact your water supply company by website to get a Water Analysis Report. It will tell you what is in the water.

I wouldn't change water sources yet. A sudden change in water chemistry could kill the fish in its current state. Just keep using the same water source you have been using until he gets better (assuming he does).

Don't waste your time with garlic.

Metronidazole is more for intestinal problems. You can try it for internal issues but other types of medications are normally used to external bacterial infections, which includes the throat. However, I don't deal with antibiotics because we don't have them where I am. Kanamycin (Kanaplex) and Furan or Furan 2 (not sure which Furan is used) is sometimes used together but I can't give anymore details than that because I don't use them.

If you are going to use antibiotics, put the fish into a bare glass or plastic container and use the antibiotics in that. Wipe the inside of the container down and change all the water before adding another dose. Don't have a filter in the tank when using antibiotics, just have a heater and airstone.
It's interesting you mentioned that medicine for external issues is used on the throat. The Polyguard, an external medicine, I gave him seemed to help him a little. On Monday, when I gave him a small flake and he only spat out a portion from what I could tell. It was much to begin with. I haven't used a dose since Sunday and he seems to have gotten a little worse. Maybe I should go back on Polygaurd.

I'm going to do the big water change that you recommended.

He hasn't eaten in over a week. He either ignores food(pellets, daphnia, bloodworms) or bites and spits(flakes).

His tank is 6.5 gallons

The tank is heated to 80F

It is filtered.

The tank is 6 months old.

I checked Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, and PH using API Masterkit. Checked out okay.(I have pictures or tubes if anyone wants to double check.

I did a 1.5 gallon water change on Saturday.

Added a dose of Polygaurd on Sunday

Did another water change on Monday and added 7 teaspoons of salt.View attachment 326434

I just got some Metroplex today. Not sure if I should try it

On the last pic there looks like there is some white on his lower lip(?)
Just to update: He is eating egg yolk. I took some Metroplex and mashed it into the yolk of a hard boiled egg. I'm very excited. He's getting some nutrition and some medication.

Most reactions

Back