Heavy tank

fishfeind

Reaction score
I just got a new 90 gal tank and have not set it up yet, I'm guessing it will weigh about 800-1000 pounds when the tank and wet/dry filter are both full of water. Has any one had a problem with their floor falling from the weight, or any serious damage?? I am gonna be setting it up on the outer edge of the house. any help appreciated.

If you have a wooden floor try to ensure that the joists that hold the floor up are running away from the wall not with it so that the weight of the tank is spread along as many joists as possible.
A 90g tank weighs about the same as 5 full grown average size men so the weight shouldnt be that much of a problem but it is best to be on the safe side.

tank should be positioned accross the direction of the beams under your floor. Stand should contact floor at beams, not between them, otherwise floor will sag over time.
If you are in the part of the world where houses are brick and reinforced concrete (Europe), disregard this post.
Of course you know that you need to level the tank.
Nice to have 90g. This is my future project, good luck.

Congradulations on getting such a hugh tank, fishfiend! :thumbs:

You must be having a great time just thinking about it and planning how you will stock it. :nod:

Have you come to any deceisions yet? Will it be planted or bare? What kind of fish are you considering for it? ;)

I must admit with a tank that size and above I'd be more worried about the stand...especially as I built my last one :p

thanks for the help, I didnt even think to put the tank in line to be supported by all the beams not two or three.

Can anyone tell me how to level the tank, do I put a big peice of styrofoam under the whole thing or what??? :S

And, yes all I can think of when I'm awake is how cool the whole thing will look when its all done.

I have a picture of what the stand will look like when its done, with assembly pics too. check in: Members aquarium pictures.
I plan on putting all real plants in it, with mainly tiger barbs and a few gourami's.
(I hope they all get along. :) )

Most reactions

Back