Heating Cable

weeble36

Reaction score
has anyone ever used a heating cable instead of a conventional heater? They guy that gave me my fish tank gave me a heating cable and I have never used or heard of them before so i am after some advice before I put it in.

Thank you. You guys are being really helpful tonight and I really do appreciate it.

Just before you lose all faith in humanity,.... 'tis the first time I hear of it and I'm sure anyone with experience in the concept will reply (before you get to page 13).... - I just said that to give you a bump, cause I think this deserves an answer, & I'm also interested to know.

when i was a gardner we used them in sand to propagate the seeds but have not seen them in tanks :hyper:

lol, i am asking as I have been given one with the tank i was given today and on the box it says ' heating cable for terrarium, vivarium and aquarium ' but I know nothing about them so dont want to use it until I have some info on them, I am very intrigued as it would be nice to use instead of having the heaters stuck on the side of the tank which can be unsightly.

thanks for the bump, appreciate it.

Hmmmm... *sratches head*

Cant help you there mate, sorry!

Never heard of one! Let alone seen one.

I'm intrigued also, so will stick around in the event of someone more superior than I coming up with an answer!! Hehe!!

Tasha

are you sure its not for te plants, becuase there are cable heaters that you put under the substrate that help the plant roots

lol, i am asking as I have been given one with the tank i was given today and on the box it says ' heating cable for terrarium, vivarium and aquarium ' but I know nothing about them so dont want to use it until I have some info on them, I am very intrigued as it would be nice to use instead of having the heaters stuck on the side of the tank which can be unsightly.

thanks for the bump, appreciate it.
could you put a pic on
seen the ones for terrarium they go under the tank not in it ,but you still need to put the thermastat in side the tank.also it will take more heating through the gravel.so bigger elec bills :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

They do what they say on the box... a heated cable ! Some are waterproofed, some are not.... all as far as I know come without control - although you could add a thermostat.
If I were using one as a SOLE heater (many are very low wattage, and need an additional "real" heater) I would use a layer of polysyrene, then the cable layed on top - pressed into grooves... then the tank.

They are sold as being good for plants, but Ive yet to be convinced !

I have a Rena Cor Heating Cable:

RenaCorHeatingCable.jpg

It is a substrate heater for planted tanks and does not replace a standard aquarium heater.

(I no longer use it in my tank since I have purged all sub-aquatic electrical cables for aesthetic reasons.)

-dan

I have a Rena Cor Heating Cable:

RenaCorHeatingCable.jpg

It is a substrate heater for planted tanks and does not replace a standard aquarium heater.

(I no longer use it in my tank since I have purged all sub-aquatic electrical cables for aesthetic reasons.)

-dan

I have helped my dad do some underfloor heating and it looks very similar to that!

I would also suggest the you cut a sheet of polystyrene out onto the bottom of the tank and then lay the 'heater' down and then lay another sheet of polystyrene down..and then your substrate..not only would it act as an insulator, but the polystyrene would sort of act as a place real plants, if you have them, can root in..

D.

Most reactions

Back