Heater not heating!!

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi all, I need urgent help with my bettas heater, I set it up to 27 C (which is between 26 and 28 C) and plugged it in, and it didn't show the light that the heater is heating or anything so his water gets up to 24 C during the night... and when I set the heater to 32 C it will heat but at the same time who wants to cook their fish? I don't want my boi to be a cooked boi snacc...

Any ideas? I'll be getting 50w Eheim Jager this Thursday, but still what to do with current heater?
Oh, and the heater is Eco Heater 50w thing.

the indicators on heater are often inaccurate. Turn the heater control till it indicates it is heating and check with a thermometer . Adjust as necessary...eventually you will figure out the proper adjustment.

the indicators on heater are often inaccurate. Turn the heater control till it indicates it is heating and check with a thermometer . Adjust as necessary...eventually you will figure out the proper adjustment.
I've tried that couple of times, I set it up to 32 C and the heater did heat up and I adjusted it back to 27 C and now's its not heating..

Probably just means the calibration is wrong. Watch the tank temp as it is heating. If the light is still on when it reaches your target temp (never mind what the heater says) turn it down a tiny bit at a time till the light goes off. (You should really unplug while you do that). Then as the tank cools make sure the heater comes back on, and turns off again. It takes a little patience. I have just done this with a brand new heater and it took me several hours.

Last edited:
Wait, are you saying the heater indicator isn't on? Or you tried to put a thermometer to it and it wasn't heating?

Probably just means the calibration is wrong. Watch the tank temp as it is heating. If the light is still on when it reaches your target temp (never mind what the heater says) turn it down a tiny bit at a time till the light goes off. (You should really unplug while you do that). Then as the tank cools make sure the heater comes back on, and turns off again. It taks a little patience. I have just done this with a brand new heater and it tok me several hours.
Thank you @seangee , I will do as you said and hopefully the heater will get back on track with its heating until my jager comes in.
Is Eheim Jager really fully submersible? Just to make sure :blush:

The light is not on so the heater is not heating, it sure will heat when I set it up on 32 C..
But did you actually try to test the temperature of the water with a thermometer?

My old filter still works perfect, but the LED is burned out.

Is Eheim Jager really fully submersible? Just to make sure
That's one of mine on the left
20200614_215056-jpg.107087

And if you look carefully there's another one in my signature - and the thing lying on the bottom at the back is also a heater. They should all be submersible ;)

Most reactions

Back