having problems with a FX4 filter

I have always struggled with how thoroughly to clean the sponges. I’m afraid of removing too much BB.
I just squeeze them until the gunk is out. If you are using sponges, you can hold them up to the light and see if there are any dark patches. This is gunk that needs removing.

In the shop and at home I used 2 buckets of tank water. I squeeze the sponge out pretty thoroughly in one bucket, then again in the second bucket. Then squeezed excess water out into the second bucket before putting the sponge back in the tank.

If the sponges/ filter media have been in an aquarium for more than 2 months, the bacteria isn't gong to wash off that easily.

I just squeeze them until the gunk is out. If you are using sponges, you can hold them up to the light and see if there are any dark patches. This is gunk that needs removing.

In the shop and at home I used 2 buckets of tank water. I squeeze the sponge out pretty thoroughly in one bucket, then again in the second bucket. Then squeezed excess water out into the second bucket before putting the sponge back in the tank.

If the sponges/ filter media have been in an aquarium for more than 2 months, the bacteria isn't gong to wash off that easily.
I prefer to use freshly conditioned tap water. Just gave two 70s a more thorough rinsing. Going for the 110s now.

I think I must have offended the Fluval Gods in another reincarnation. The Aquasky LEDs are ok, but people say other lights do just as well at < half what I paid.

It lives! The mighty Fluval Fx4 has sprung to life! It was a dead motor. The husband installed the new impeller on the old motor without success. However he thinks the old impeller is good & would have worked with the new motor. It has been added to my ever growing fish equipment room, a vast inventory that includes stuff for ten tanks. The old motor is stone dead when plugged in outside of the filter. RIP.

Highly peculiar Seller says old motor good until the moment he disassembled the system for me. I’m beginning to think he was hot for a customer at the pet shop where he works & swapped out her junker for one of the good pair I was supposed to get. Men! But like the Great Brit said: All’s well that ends well. I love this tank! 💗💗💗💗

It lives! The mighty Fluval Fx4 has sprung to life! It was a dead motor. The husband installed the new impeller on the old motor without success. However he thinks the old impeller is good & would have worked with the new motor. It has been added to my ever growing fish equipment room, a vast inventory that includes stuff for ten tanks. The old motor is stone dead when plugged in outside of the filter. RIP.

Highly peculiar Seller says old motor good until the moment he disassembled the system for me. I’m beginning to think he was hot for a customer at the pet shop where he works & swapped out her junker for one of the good pair I was supposed to get. Men! But like the Great Brit said: All’s well that ends well. I love this tank! 💗💗💗💗
Good to hear that! I hope you get much use out of it :)

Good to hear that! I hope you get much use out of it :)
Thank you. Soon to be the new home of a Severum pair and 10 little catfish. Currently residing in different shoddy 55 G tanks with others now.
3D5AA468-A1F7-4222-AE91-5E5D7A6E86F1.jpeg

You should enter your tank in our Tank of the Month contest and one of your fish in our Fish of the Month contests. Later this year we will feature all fish in the FOTM contest. Next month is for Plecos.

You should enter your tank in our Tank of the Month contest and one of your fish in our Fish of the Month contests. Later this year we will feature all fish in the FOTM contest. Next month is for Plecos.
Never did get past crappy pics from my iPad. Someday! 👍

Impellors and o-rings should last for years. You can test the impellor by holding the magnet and turning the plastic blades with your finger. If the plastic blades go round and round and don't stop while you are holding the magnet, then it is broken and you can either replace it or superglue the plastic blades to the magnet.

O-rings can be lubed up with some Vaseline when you clean the filter. Just smear a thin layer on the o-ring and it should last for years.

------------------
Take the motor off the filter case and disconnect the hoses. Plug the motor into a power socket and turn it on for a few seconds. See if the impellor is spinning. If it is, that's a good sign and suggests the problem is in the filter. This could be air, blocked or kinked hoses, or something else.

I wouldn't be buying any replacement parts until you try other things. Most filters are pretty good and don't die after 2 years.
Hi! I know this post is a year old but I am experiencing what seems like a similar issue to OP. I tested the impeller by your first method, and the plastic blades do not move at all if I am holding the magnet.

However, when I plugged the motor into a power socket (disconnected from the filter) for a few seconds, the impeller was spinning with a rough/jerky motion. It was spinning, just seemed jumpy every few rotations. Would this mean that the impeller or the motor needed to be replaced (if either?). I assume the impeller, but after reading the entire thread it seems the OP replaced the motor, not the impeller.

Thanks in advance for your insight! Your posts here have already been very helpful.

Most reactions

Back