having babys

small_fry

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
my female guppy is having babys well i thought she was she has had 3 and for the last 4 hours no more have come she is still massive and i can see there eyes, when she had the fist 3 her vent thing above her bum was open type thing if you know what i mean but now it seems to have closed up.
does this mean she isnt going to have anymore or is she in stress and doesnt want to drop the rest?
she is in a 2ft tank very well planted any ideas what could be happening

They can take several hours to give birth to all of their fry so I wouldn't worry too much. It is a very stressful condition though. Is this the first time she has given birth? That could also explain why it is taking longer.

im not sure this will be her first time with me, she is a big guppy i baught her about 4-5 weeks ago

Is she the only fish in the tank? Other fish around can also be a form of stress on birthing mothers. It might not be her first time giving birth but its best to assume that it is. Add some stresscoat and that might give her a little help but I can't really think of anything that would help her along. Also maybe raise the temp a few degrees, sometimes that will speed things up. Good luck and keep us updated!

ok thanks for that there isnt no other fish in the tank just her its just a birthing tank

I have had platies stop for days. There is many reasons they stop. But one of bigest is that they have to many fry and the first ones are dumps. And they keep the rest full term.

Most reactions

Back