Have U Ever Owened A A Fish That Died?

hey i have a solution to most of the deaths of fishes!
its called get cover for ur fish tank! :lol:
Well the only time I had a fish jump out is when i didnt have a cover. :S

fish are amazing at finding the smallest hole sin your lid to get out of like my tetras did one by on every night :S :p lol

A lot of people on this forum have been owning fish for many years. My first tank was over 30 years ago. Obviously those fish are not still alive. Most small tropical fish have a lifespan of about 4 years, some up to 10 years, some only about 2 years. Goldfish can live 20 years, maybe even longer. But I've lived longer still.... :p

Having said that, some of my fish have certainly died before their time. The greatest killer has been parasites, brought with the fish from the shop, now hopefully eradicated. 1 death from bacterial infection in heatwave. Oh, and fry being eaten by their mother, if we are going to count that.

Two of my guppies just died the other day, but they were getting nipped by the tetras and their fins were ragged I rehoused them but I think the died of trauma :sad: :-(

apart from that I have had no other serious deaths for about 9 months.

I am willing to bet my life savings that well over 90% of members on this forum have suffered a death of a fish, deaths can occur even in the best kept tanks, due to old age - or even things like a weak breed. :(

Well my first fish that i was responsible for caring for were 3 playts from about 10 years ago and i still like to brag that i have decendants from them in my tanks.

My oldest fish right now is a 4 year old pearl gourami (well, i've had him 4 years) pretty hardy bugger, survived my grossly overpopulated 10 gallon till i got my 29, poor guy, starting to show a bit of age, same with my 4 year old platy.

How many fish deaths are due to human error though.
You would not treat a dog in the same way some so called aquarists treat their fish.

I have had fish die, mostly from old age.....BUT.....

January this year I had fish dying daily for no apparent reason. They all had this grey sheen to them then would die. Anyways, I started blaming my water ompany for perhaps putting nasty stuff in the water. Then realised it was only my 30gal tank. If I moved fish from there they would die as well. I was at my wits end one day and was about to start dismantling the tank (I thought it was possessed) when I discovered one of my dogs toys draping in the HOB filter. How is this significant? Well about a month before we had a flea problem with my dog and treated all his toys and his bedding etc. Result: my fish were being poisoned by flea poison :( At least I found out why but I lost my eldest platy fry, their father, their mother, eventually all the platies and swordies, all the tetras (neon and glolight) and cories. The only fish that came through unscathed was my male bnose plec and all of his fry (who were juvies at the time).

Everyone whos been in fish keeping for a long time will have had fish die. Most of the fish in thobby have a much much shorter life span than us (infact I can't think of one that has got a longer one than humans that I've seen in shops)

Anywho... The majourity of my fish that have died are the result of a gobbling. Bigger fish eating the smaller fish.

When I first started the hobby I had quite a few fish die because I was given bad advice... Fair enough I shouldv'e done the research myself but I didn't realise so many good resources were out there and shops should be more careful with who they sell their livestock to.

I've had a fish or two die unexpectedly with no symptoms even after death and with immaculate water quality. I guess that could be narrowed down to A. Old age. B. Shock (EG: Lights going on, an unexpected massive vibration or something)

When a fish dies the first thing you should do is chek your water quality - wheter its using a home test kit or going ot to the nearest shop that does them. If you don't, you could have polluted water and your other fish are left in there to suffer. If your water is fine then you need to start looking at possible diseases.

Although saying that, When water quality is bad fish are more likely to become diseased because they are stressed and they immune system is weakend. Just because you can diagnose a fish with a disease it doesn't mean that you can ignore your water quality.

Most reactions

Back