Have I Damaged The Di Resin?

norite

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Got my first RO unit installed :good: Our local fish shop closed down, so there went my local RO supply...down the drain... :sad:

The instructions said I must run off 5 US gallons before using the water or plumbing in the DeIonising (DI) unit. Sadly I got so inolved in getting it setup I forgot what the instructions said and plumbed the DI unit in. It had done around 6 litres (2 US gallons) before I read the instructions again, realised what I had done, and quickly disconnected the DI unit. :blush:

Will the DI resin be useless now? Can I still use it, or should I throw it away and replace it with fresh resin?

Ta

Potentially yes, is my guess. RO membranes are shipped in a resin to keep them damp in transit, that has to be "flushed" off the membranes before you use any of the produced RO. I don't know what resin, or whats in it more to the point, any brand uses, but in the likely event it has an ionic charge, it will have spent the DI resin in the post filter. I'd replace it before using unless another member can confirm either way :good:

On a side note, it isn't the type of resin that changes colour as it spends that was supplied with the unit was it? If so, has it changed colour? If so, it's spent and needs replacing. If it hasn't, it's fine ;)

HTH
Rabbut

Thanks for the info everyone! :good:

I changed the DI resin anyway; it's cheap enough to buy more...

Most reactions

Back